Brake flush

I want to flush the brake system on my 90 Convertible. The brakes are fine right nowbut the fluid appears to be dark (dirty?) <BR>Where can I find step by step instructions to perform this operation? Looked in FAQ brakes but did not find it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks<BR> Charlie

This is a draft of procedure.<BR>Comments welcome!<P> Bleeding or Flushing the Brake System<BR> If you know of a reliable mechanic/garage and want to flush the system, I suggest you pay the $30 to $40 normally charged! Bleeding/flushing can be a messy task and brake fluid is corrosive. If someone has previously loosened the bleeders, you may find them damaged and difficult to loosen. Be prepared to use Vice Grips and have spare bleeders on hand.<P> If you have not previously manually bled brakes, I suggest you bypass this task.<P> But doing it yourself is not difficult. You will need an assistant, a wrench to turn the bleeders, a clear plastic container, a piece of clear hose, some rags and a little more than a quart of Dot 3 fluid. Personally I would buy two quarts.<P> First turn the key off, pump the brake pedal 25-40 times to depressurize the system.<P> Now you must address the Reservoir. You could syringe out the old fluid or remove a return line and drain or run all through a rear bleeder. If you attempt to run all in the Reservoir, Accumulator and lines through a rear bleeder you will be mixing new and old fluid as you attempt to keep the Reservoir filled to the seam. Reportedly a plastic piece/elbow breaks very easily when disconnecting a line from the Reservoir. I prefer a syringe. Empty reservoir, then fill.<P>However done, from then on you must keep the reservoir full, at least to the seam, filling to the top is O.K. with the cap removed and plans to flush further. Any old fluid left in the Reservoir will be removed through the right rear bleeder.<BR> Turn the key on, wait for system to pressurize and reservoir level to drop ( hope by now you know why it drops about ½ inch). Top off reservoir. Attach wrench, hose and container at the right rear bleeder. Have you assistant gently depress the brake pedal, loosen the bleeder, keep reservoir full and bleed until fluid runs clear. Repeat at the left rear bleeder.<BR> At this time you must turn the Key Off and pump the pedal 25/40 times to relieve all system pressure. Leave the Key OFF. The fluid in the Reservoir should have been clear, new before depressurizing. You might now check to see it is still clear/new.<BR> Bleed the fronts, starting with the RF, as with any manual procedure (Depress pedal, open bleeder, close bleeder, release pedal, all done slowly with a pause between strokes). This takes a lot of pumping and time.<BR> When all is clear, system still depressurized, check for correct Reservoir level.<BR> Clean up the mess.

Wally888<BR> Thank you for your very quick reply, I have a good bit of experience in bleeding brakes, but none with the Teves system. I will follow your instructions to the "T"<BR>I have tried asking in a few shops near me and the majority of them never heard of "Teves" It kinda scared me when they all said they could do it any way.<BR> thanks again<BR> Charlie