Ain't no sunshine 'round my cloudy taillight lense!

Saw a coupe the other day in L.A. that had the upper (clear) part of the taillight lense removed. Looked pretty good, with a dimensional feel as the upper, inner portion is recessed slightly. Since my latest addition has a cracked, cloudy upper lense beyond redemption, question is: Can the upper (clear) portion be easily removed? And does that affect water intrusion, etc.? As usual, observations and recommendations greatly appreciated.<P>Jerry

Guest Greg Ross

Jerry,<BR>That outer clear lens includes the finish panel in to the trunk seal and there's a 1/2" groove around the perimeter where it seals to the inner lens. Ok from 50 feet maybe, but up close I think it would be quite unsightly. <BR>And no it's definitely not easily removable, at least not in my experience.

Just a thought... What about tinting the lens, I.E. like window tint? Might look good if it could be applied professionally.<BR> confused.gif" border="0

What follows is a post from the Jaguar forum. I have not tried it so I cannot vouch for it.<BR>"1) Remove lens (indicator, reverse, rear whatever) and give it a thorough degreasing. You can use warm water and dishwashing liquid.<BR>2) Next, get a pad of soaped steel wool, wet it and gently 'polish' the lens for a while. This will get out all the years of ground-in filth and also smooth away any minor scratches. Rinse regularly and keep going until you're happy.<BR>3) Now your lens is a nasty matt finish - DO NOT PANIC! Buy an aerosol can of Acrylic Lacquer for METALLIC paint and gently apply 3 or 4 light coats. Build it up slowly, as the damn stuff runs like water and can wrinkle if too thick. If that happens, clean it off with solvent asap and start again.<BR>4) Now your lens will go a milky white finish - DO NOT PANIC! This will clear as it dries and within an hour your lens will look like it just came out of a box. The lacquer sets incredibly hard, fills little cracks and, allegedly, the metallic finish acrylic I use claims to offer 'superior UV protection'. Been using this for years under the hot Ozzie sun and nothing's faded yet."<P>If you are contemplating pulling the lens altogether, yours may be the ideal test platform for this method. If you try it, let us know what results you get.

Guest EDBS0

Another idea and just to confuse you <A HREF="http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3909&prmenbr=361" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3909&prmenbr=361</A> If you have a dark car.<P>Personally just polish it with <A HREF="http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html</A> <P>It will look like new.<BR> 06208.jpg<p>[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Robert, I don't ignore my neighbors to the north. Tried Mothers; absolutely nothing. This lense has spent 12 years soaking up rays reflected off an aluminum single-wide in the wilds of North Carolina. It has the sheen of one of the blocks upon which the Fleetwood sat.<P>Jerry

Guest EDBS0

and.......did you use.......equal portions offffff........elbow grease?<P>On my list of to do also..... product_g103.gif I have some ScratchX it is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand. This product is guaranteed to deliver the finest results possible by hand (some scratches require removal by machine applied professional formulas). ScratchX removes surface contaminants, oxidation and blemishes as well as enhances paint color. Unlike many paint correction formulas on the market, ScratchX will not leave more scratches than it takes out. It's ideal for use as a quick touch up or to revive a car's entire finish. <P>More aggressive than the polish, will let you know, Robert<P>PS: I live south of the 49th. do you deliver here?

For you, Robert, I'd deliver the car -- even though the listing does say "lower 48." But heck, Canada has always been a possession/suburb/territory of the United States, anyway. grin.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0 <P>Jerry

Guest EDBS0

I live south of the 48th parallel!<P>Cloudy clear coat is a sign of painting (spraying) in too high a humidity.

Wufiburg? That's a British name? Let's not forget how that war turned out. EDSO: we're talking 49th state here, not parallel. (I got in enough trouble around the 38th parallel back in the early '50s.) Remember, Korea was the last war (maybe) that God was on our side.<P>Jerry grin.gif" border="0

Interestingly enough world and Canadian text books claim that Canada won but American texts claim that the USA won. nixweiss.gif <P>Americans also have world championships and do not invite other countries to compete confused.gif" border="0 Go figure nixweiss.gif <P>Is the water getting hotter?<BR> argue.gifgrin.gif" border="0

Whoaaaa! Seems to me that there are a couple of Canuck teams in MLB. Water hotter? Not hardly. Don't know of a lot of American actors who went to Canada to hit it big... Or medical patients from California who go to Alberta for treatment... Not since the Vietnam war have I heard of any significant immigration northwards... Don't get me wrong: the most beautiful lake in the world is Louise; the greatest skiing is Whistler; the greatest rodeoing is the Calgary Stampede; the most charming city is Old Quebec. And the greatest sister-in-law in the world came from Edmonton!<P>Jerry grin.gif" border="0