I got my headliner from UPS last night

Guest 49 Packard

Guest 49 Packard

I got my headliner from UPS last night and I'm looking forward to installing it. This will be a fun first-time experience.

When I removed the old headliner last fall I found that some insulation padding had come loose and fallen onto the old headliner. It's weight on the old fabric was a big part of the problem. See picture below.

So the question is (especially for those of you that have done work like this), is would you try and duplicate the insulation, or just clean-up/paint-up the steel roof interior and install the new headliner without new pad?

If you were going to put in new pad, what would you use?

Thanks for all advice offered.

Jay

Clip1.jpg

I would absolutely use a new pad because the steel top will tend to "rumble" without and if your car is like a 54 I did, the steel hoops holding the headliner can touch the top in a couple of places. There are any number of acoustical pads available from car stereo places and other outlets (Quietride is a good one) both with and without an aluminized layer to reflect the heat. I would go for the heat control as well.

Guest imported_Speedster

Most restorers don't install any type of insulation that can hold moisture, which will cause rust and will drop down again. Instead they use sound deadening paint, such as used on inside of fenders and in pickup beds (bed liner paint). Just brush it on, several coats is better, but just one coat will do very well.

It not only sound deadens, it insulates from heat and cold and acts as a preservative paint, so only a coat of epoxy primer is needed before brushing it on.

Use Naval-jelly to kill the rust before applying the epoxy-primer.

Guest BigKev

You can also find double foiled back insulation that does not contain any moisture absorbing material. You prime and paint the underside to protect the metal, and then use a spray on adhesive to apply the foil insulation. That is what I would use. Also for spray-in insulation check out a product called Lizard Skin.

A good insulation will not only cut down the noise, but keep the interior of the car cooler from the summer heat beating down on the roof. (Also warmer in the winter).

I have seen a few new headliners ruined because the insulation was not replaced, and condensation formed on the underside of the roof metal. This makes the metal rusty and then it drips down on the headliner and stains it. A good insulation helps to prevent this.

Guest imported_Speedster

Yep, Lizard Skin is good stuff. Like bed-liner-paint it needs to be put on Thick tho.

Guest imported_Speedster

I forgot to mention that the Seats and Carpet Need to be removed before attempting anything. That way there's not as much that needs covering, while applying the Naval-jelly, primer and insulation-coating, all of which can get very messy. Not having the seats in the way also makes installing the Headliner much easier.

If the car already apart, then the paint or spray on is probably the less expensive way to go but if not, I still like the self sticking pads like the Dynaliner and comparable made for the purpose. Almost any of the modern would be better than original though, and agree about staying away from anything that collects moisture and not attempting over dirt or rust.

Guest bkazmer

for my 41, I got single side foil insulation from leBaron Bonney and used the adhesive 3M recommended, applied as recommended. I do not advise double-sided foiled - it's much harder to get a good bond.