Tucson Nationals meet, Misc Ramblings

So this is the place to post any thoughts or experiences you had from the event smile.gif

It was my 5th National meet and I had a fantastic time, meeting up with some old friends is always good but I also met a few new folks this time too. So in no particular order...

Sheriff Terry from AZ and his wife Connie- glad to have you at the meet cool.gif Your Royal Cabernet/bordeaux 16V car is fantastically preserved and the redone seats might be the finest factory redo I've ever seen. Perfect. Runs 10X smoother than my 16V cars ever did too blush.gif Nice to have some young-uns like you around smile.gif

Mark and Sherry from Birmingham. You obviously take fastidious care of your car, best in show, People's choice, long distance award and a few others I think. Maybe a regional directorship in your future???? Nice to have someone with some ideas on how the club can be stronger...

Jasper Taladega the meets are ALWAYS more interesting when you're around grin.gif Man son, you sure can spin a yarn! I think you regailed our table thru the entire awards banquet.

Wild Bill and Mrs Bill, nice spending some time with you, hope your trip back to Aurora goes smoothly.

Merrill From Canada, thanks for teaching me the term 'Blue Wrench'. Being from a no-rust part of the world I'd not been exposed to the joys of removing all nuts and bolts with the blue wrench. I think one time I had to heat up an axle nut a bit to get it to loosen wink.gif but torch right thru it?? crazy.gif Crazy talk Merrill. I like your sense of humor too laugh.gif

The "Technical staff" this year had five members with the addition of Andy (joining Larry and Bruce) to TCparts.com as well as myself and our own TC Maserati Guru, 'Dr' Hemi Anderson. The club members may not know this but the five member panel represents almost 150 years of TC/automotive experience. 97 of those years come just from Hemi laugh.gif Lots of TC pearls of information were passed back and forth but ai think the overlying theme is, find a good mechanic who knows TC or at the least is WILLING to learn about them...

I had a little trouble with the fuel mixture in the worlds fastest TC due to a couple changes I msade at midnight 5 hours before I left on the drive-that's never a good idea frown.gif It GUZZLED fuel on the trip out and returned about 18MPG mad.gif I made a few fuel pressure adjustments over the meeting but the one that really counted I made a 6am Wednesday right before I drove home. The power was back (an overly rich condition will kill your mileage AND power) and I made it 468 miles on just over 16 gallons of gas-about 29 MPG smile.gif Not to mention interstate 8 is hilly with about 4000 feet of vertical change and I drove between 75-85MPH the whole way.

More ramblings as I remember other parts of the meet...

My favorite pic of the meet

Alan

post-33234-143137983247_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is a real nice pic there Allan. What makes you think I talk so much. ha ha Like Paul Harvey says, now for the rest of the story. ha ha We had a blast. I hope we get a little closer next time where it will be easier to bring a TC. I can't complain since my Bud Mark from B'ham Bama was there and he drove all the way. It was a blast. Thanks for all the enjoyment and Tombstone was a HOOT! Jasper says Hey!

Thanks for the reply Jasper, I enjoyed our time together in Tucson. NOW IS THERE ANYONE ELSE that attended the Tucson meeting and has any thoughts or reflections???? Wild Bill?? Merrill?? TCPARTS Larry?? HEMI?? Mark?? Anyone?? Bueller, Bueller, Beuller...

Since you asked. Another great time at a TC national. Wonderful weather. Definately topless time. Speaking of that did anyone else see that half naked person dusting their car off??? Where was my camera. Great place to stay, great food, great people. I picked up some more lens covers, had accumulater put on, got some new fuel line and my soft top adjusted and saw some seats brought back to life, not to mention getting a little sun and making some more great friends. I wish car chick was there. I don't know about twincamfan and those mics thou?? Coming back to Denver thou, gives you withdrawal pains.

Guest Stephen Lyons

I certainly enjoyed myself. The one downer was on my way home from the banquet Tuesday night, I got as far as the Craycroft overpass on I-10 before running over something that punctured my right front tire on the inside sidewall (about a nickel-sized hole), & of course at 75mph, the tire shredded immediately. The Ariz. Highway Patrol was nice enough to give me a lift back to the hotel, & Larry Carlson graciously pulled a tire & wheel off one of his trailered TC's & took me back out there where we put it on the car. Too bad about that flat, too, as it was one of the original Michelins that came with the car new. So now I'm pretty much forced to take the step of making the car that bit less original by putting on four new tres. Had to happen sooner or later, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Allan, it has taken me waay too loooong to reply,it was good to have lunch with you, I enjoyed your company. I met a great group of TC owners, [Wild??] Bill and Caroline Wriston, Larry and Bruce Carlson, Stephen Lyons, Mark Norton, Hemi Anderson and many others. I got to tour part of Tucson With Mark in his 16 Valve car and returned to the hotel with Hemi in his well traveled 8 Valve 5 speed to complete a good afternoon. Tom [Jasper] I enjoyed your boat and motor home tire blowout stories and hope to go to the Florida meet. The tech and repair sessions were of great interest to me as I do a lot of my own work. The trip to Tombstone was a good time thanks to Stephen. All of the best to all of the others that I met. Merrill Nelson

Hi All,

Great picture of the 16 Valve TC's at National ----- thanks to all!!!!! Sherry and I had a wonderful time and the Red '90 performed perfectly all the way back to Alabama. Cleaned off the New Mexico tar and put her back in the garage until Silver Springs FL in November!!!!

Can't wait to see everyone there in sunny central Florida!!! Anyone planning on passing through Birmingham, Alabama on their way to FL should let me know and we can all get together---- Cheers,

Marc Norton