Sign in to follow this  
James Farris

38 cadillac starter

I have a friend that has an all original 38 cadillac. the cars starter went out and he was going to have it rebuilt but the guy doing the rebuild couldnt figure out what the two extra post on the side of the motor were for. he said he wouldnt touch it until he could tell him what they were for. they are for a small gauge wire and i was hoping someone could tell me what they are. any help at all would be great. thanks

hello james,i have a 37 caddy,with a v8,on my starter the only 2 extra posts are for the solenoid wires to attach to.i am not to sure what you are looking at when you see these 2 posts,the posts are under a little square cover on my car,the are at 90 degree angles from each other?the guy doing the rebuild should know what they are for,if he knows starters at all?.can you post a picture of the starter,maybe we can figure it out.starter brushes are on Ebay all the time,it is the solenoid that is very hard to find for these cars. HTH Harvey B

On some of the original Cadillac models one of these wires went to the voltage regulator. The other to the starter button. Basically, one wire needs to be grounded, the other to the starter button.

This is about the simplest explanation I can give..

Best advice I can give is get a shop manual AND an old Chiltons Guide. Very handy reference tools when tinkering on your car.