81 Buick Riviera to sell or scrap

bill pritchett

I stored the above car on my property for a friend. It has been sitting outside but is in basically decent condition although it has some rust. I know it has the turbo and was working when he drove it in.

I need to move it from my property but do not want to scrap it as I love old cars and want to see it preserved.

Any suggestions. It is located in cental NJ.

I'm assuming the car is not running? Not sure how many cars were turbo. If by some chance its a T-Type turbo you should be able to sell it pretty easy. These generation Rivieras need to be in very good condition or a limited edition model to sell. Someone could use it for parts but by the time they trailer it home with the price of fuel they may not want to pay much. Aside from the turbo, around here that car would be hard to give away. Maybe someone will chime in that knows if turbo cars are worth anything.

Scrap prices are sky high right now. Some scrap yards in the Pittsburgh area are paying $14 per one hundred pound for cars. I'd think it is very similar in NJ. So for an 81 weighing in around 3700 you'd get $500. Of couse it would be less if you can't deliver it.

Try putting it on craigslist and see what happens. Being a turbo might attract some attention.

Is this car a T-type? You mentioned storing it for a friend but now your getting rid of it? I guess he doesn't want it or something? I might be interested. Do you maybe have some pictures of the ext & int of the car? Thanks