3rd or High Level Brake Light Bulb Question Pleeease

Roadster90

I had a Restorer working on / or repairing 5 tiny places/corners of the interior panels on the coupe today, and since I had a bulb to replace on the 3rd brake light and fix a corner we took that particular panel out. On the 3rd brake light housing under that panel it has stamped "USE 1141 BULBS ONLY". Well, I went to Advance and they did not stock the bulb.....went back and I pulled out two 1156 bulbs?????? What to do pleeease....are 1156 bulbs OK as well as the 1141 bulbs confused.gif

Thanks,

Nic

I would not loose an sleep over the difference, however they should both be the same bulb as there is a different current rating on them and one will be brighter than the other if you mix them.

I suspect the selection of the bulb to use was determined by the brightest bulb that would not melt the plastic surround.

Look at the Sylvania automotive site and you can compare the current. The 1141 draws 1.44 amps while the 1156 draws 2.1 amps

here is the page http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/ECatalog/

• 7 years later...
Guest Pudgee

On the 1990 Convertibles, they use 4 - 891 mini bulbs with 2 straight wire pins that plug in.  Has anyone used the 8w Halogens that are also used for Fog Lamps? ...and if so, how do they compare with the OEM's?    Four of those in the third brake light would seem to me like massive over-kill.  Auto Zone has that replacement in their database @ $10per- though there are cheaper on Ebay...and I saw Barney Eaton's suggestion of 12v accent lighting bulbs, too.  Thoughts?

Why don't you buy some of the newly available LED light that have the correct pins...... they may cost more, but don't give off heat, and will last a long time.

My 12V - 10W accent light suggestion are for people that don't want to spend $40 replacing all the bulbs.

You can go to bulb manufacturer web sites like GE and Sylvania and research various automotive bulbs.   Their specs tell you the wattage of different bulbs.   Basic logic if a 12V bulb has a higher wattage it will be brighter but also give off more heat.

No, the convertible thrid brake light uses 4 bi-pin halogen bulbs, not the two 1141 bayonet base bulbs as used in the coupes. Be advised also that the convertible third brake light seems to be prone to corrosion of the sockets in the lamp housing. This may cause lamp failure due to poor contact and high resistance.

KDirk

• Like 1

To clarify, they aren't four pin bulbs. They are bi-pin (two pins) but there are a total of four bulbs. They are type 891. I have purchased these from stock at the local parts house so not all that uncommon and are still available.

KDirk

Here are some option I have but have not checked to verify they will all fit into the space allotted.   Note the industrial designation for the pin arrangement/size is G4

On the left is the standard automotive 891 bulb rated at 10W

On the right is a GE 12V bulb sold for under cabinet lighting...this one is 20W but they are available in 10W

Center top left is a LED found on Ebay it has a total of 24 LED's and is 1 3/8 tall from the tips of the pins to the top.

Center top right ..Philips Accent LED,  only 3 LED's  and bulky ..1 9/16 tip to top 13/16 wide

Center bottom, another Ebay purchase...  24 LED's on a circuit board that measures 1 5/8 tall,  1 1/4 wide, it has wires to the pins which gives some flexibility in mounting.

I have played with all of them on the workbench but have not compared them for brightness or if they will fit into the Reatta 3 brake light housing.    There also some long narrow circuit board strips that might be ideal for the Reatta but I have not purchased them.

post-76006-0-85955400-1435934634_thumb.j

On the subject of the high stop light... I installed a flasher module in mine that can be programmed to pulse the high stop light before it comes on steady. it can be programmed any way you can think of to control the stop light. I programmed mine to flash 5 times quickly and then stay on continuously as long as you have your foot on the brake. I think it is a good safety feature to get the attention of the drivers behind you. The module is very small and it easily fits inside the light fixture. You have to cut one factory wire, the hot wire, and connect a ground wire to install it.

post-95476-0-05301200-1435937410_thumb.j

• Like 1