AC out

Four days ago the AC in my '89 went bad. Messaging on the CRT said low coolant level and the compressor would be shut down to avoid damage. The compressor is certainly shut down but does not appear to be damaged.<P>I took the car to a local guy and told him I needed freon. The car was converted to R134 before I bought it so I'm calling it freon although 134 may be called something else. Guy at the garage calls me and says I have plenty of freon and all of the line switches are okay but the CRT says the same as it did and the compressor won't kick on. He thinks it is a computer problem beyond his capability and suggested I take it to the Buick dealer.<P>Since the last time I went to the Buick dealer and observed that most of the mechanics don't seem to be any older than my reatta, I thought some input from you folks as to what might be wrong may get me back to a cooler future or might help the youth at the local Buick shop get my AC up and running.

I had the same problem. I told the mechanic to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. After that the compressor started working again. I have a good supply of R12, so I gave the mechanic a few cans to work with. My bill was $70.00

What is needed here is a lost art called "troubleshooting". Yours is easy since it is not working at all. What needs to be done is for someone to take a voltmeter and check each node point in the A/C circuit.<P>One of the specific descretes that can be cycled on the 88-89 is the a/c compressor - ES06.<P>A "low pressure" warning is generally accompanied by Code B446, 447, &/or 448. The FSM (every Reatta should have one) has a procedure to determine the problem starting on page 8D2-60 which also has a schematic for the a/c compressor relay circuit.

Just had the identical problem on my 89. Did not need freon and replaced the low pressure sensor and the Body Control Module. Nothing helped. My mechanic finally took the glove box out and looked at the wire splice in the harness that is indicated in the wiring diagram. Even though it looked alright, he recrimped the splice and now everything is working as it should. Go figure!

Thanks for the input. I tried the battery trick without success. I feel better armed to venture out to the Buick garage.<P>Thanks again.

i'm not sure if this would be at all releated, but when i got my reatta, the a/c was disabled by a sensor in the power steering, it's supposed to detect when the wheel is cranked one way or another all the way and turns off the a/c.<P>i wonder how long the last person went thinking their a/c was toast smile.gif" border="0

Here is something I learned by accident. I find nothing mentioned in the shop manual about this. If the compressor has been shut down by the BCM, in order for the compressor to work again, the error codes must be cleared. I would have thought disconnecting the battery would have done that, but the BCM may still store the code. Try clearing all codes, and see what happens. It's worth a shot and sure cheaper than going to the dealership. Also another note. 134A has different pressure charteristics that R12. Some in the forum have had great success with the conversion, while others have gotten the low pressure warnings when nothing is wrong. Oddly, my 89 gives low pressure warnings in the winter time. Between 50-60 degrees outside, often the warning will come on. I've never seen the warning below 50. Now the temp is in the 90's and all is well. I'm told the car has a full charge of R12. Go figure. Howard<p>[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Howard ]

If the low pressure sensor is as accurate as the restor of the sensors, is probably at one end of a quite large tolerance range.<P>Only way to know is to have a gauge on it and measure what pressure it trips at.<p>[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]