Rolling Jack/Dolly Needed for Model T... Any advice?

Hello All,

The professional theatre that I work for recently purchased a Model T Runabout pickup truck for an upcoming production of the musical <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> Ragtime. We are looking for some kind of rolling car jacks or dollies that could be attached to the frame of the car itself (rather than sit under the wheels) that would enable to vehicle to roll independently of the wheels - the tires are lovely and we don't want to wear them out onstage; we also want to use something that won't damage the car, as it is going home with one of our company members at the end of the show. Does anyone know of something of this nature that exists and would work with the Model T? We were already told about rotisseries, but they are both too large and too expensive for our purposes. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

AJ Bradley

Prop Shop Supervisor

Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts

AJ:

I would not worry about wearing out the tires as we get a lot of mileage on them. I have some cars with twenty years of service on them. My tires usualy dry rot before they wear out. I would get wheel dollys and paint them flat black and no one will notice them. I am sure your could make a subframe out of square tubing with castors om them and set the T on them. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be very easy to fabricate a dolly from about 2.5" square tubing that would support the front and rear axles with the truck wheels slightly off the stage. I would use full castering semi pnuematic casters for the dolly so the truck could be pushed in any direction. The casters could be positioned right inside the truck wheels and would be well hidden. There's a few ways to skin this cat though..........Bob