A/C Coolant

Guest Jared_Blakeman

Guest Jared_Blakeman

Does anybody know were i can get the a/c coolant for my 89 reatta. I know that selling it is illeagal cuz of the emissions or somethin, Will i have to get a A/C converter? how do all of you do yours?

Guest MauiWowee

Some of us have cars that have been converted to run R134. There is R12 substitutes, but not many use them. R12 is available on ebay or even garage sales. cool.gif

You will need both the freon and the special fill hose. Ebay is where I have been buying mine. The problem is that now the price is going up,because of warmer outside temperatures. R-134 and the correct hose is still fairly easy to get. The r-12 is the hard one to get.

The first question is are you sure you need to charge your unit. The CRT will tell you that you need to charge your system, but the seems to happen when it is still below 70 degrees outside temperature. Try clearing the codes by pressing the "off" and "warm" keys and going thru the prompts to clear the codes.

Guest TommyH

Changing your system from r12 to 134a doesn't seem like a good option, as r12 is still very easy to find. Compared to 134a, it might be that rare silver dollar, but spending a few minutes to call around will net you the results you want. I can't speak for California, though.

No flaming, please.

Guest F14CRAZY

I've been meaning to become EPA certified to buy R12 for a while through epatest.com...

R12 must be good. Guys on the Explorer board have posted about changin an R134a system to R12

I have been buying it for the last year on ebay's "buy it now" only. In the part of the ebay ad to contact the seller I write that I am buying for resale only. It works and it is also true. I don't have the r-12 hose, but my a/c certified mechanic friend does, so I pay him to install it.