"Disabled" ABS System....

[censored] question: On one of my '90s, the ABS light is constantly on, and some repair paperwork from the Buick dealership in 1997 notes, "ABS disabled at customer's request." Huh? How does one go about "disabling" the ABS? And can it be "re-enabled" without replacing the ECM? Might it just be a matter of replacing a relay? Expert opinions, please...<P>Jerry

To disable I suspect they just unplugged a power lead or the ABS computer in the trunk.<P>Keep in mind that the ABS valves are supposed to cycle every time the ignition is turned on (can feel the "pop" in the brake pedal after 3-4 seconds). If disconnected for five years, they may now schtick a bit.

From the manual, it appears there are several ways to disable the ABS.<P>Fuse #10 feeds the light on the dash but it is 10amps so it probably controls other things.<P>ABS relay fuse, feed power to the ABS relay on the firewall, either would disable.<P>antilock brake controller fuse feeds the control module.<P>and there are probably others.<P>You could unplug the connector at the ABS valve body and that should disable.

Guest wally888

Breaking any connection to any Wheel Sensor.All 4 go to EBCM.<BR>I'd check EBCM in trunk, maybe just disconnected there.<BR> A code at ALDL would tell you, most likely.