Speaking of Window Trim..... Removing It...???

alex bonino

The post on window trim got me to thinking of items further down my work list. One of which is the dreaded window and other trim removal (the kind held in place with wierd clips)

After many years of restoration and refurbish projects, window and door chrome trim/molding removal remains a mystery to me.

I've attached pics of the tools I believe are recommended for this task. Exactly how is the molding removed using these?

The pictures and description in the manual are vague, something about keeping flat to the glass and rocking back and forth. Thing is, I see no where to gain a purchase. Is the short middle piece removed using the same methods?

any insight or experience would be of interest.

as always thanks

alex

roa 11550

post-53628-143137980483_thumb.jpg

post-53628-143137980485_thumb.jpg

Guest Buick Bonery

I share your frustration Alex. My first tip to you is to spray the entire moulding with penetrating oil, so that the trim is not stuck to the clips. Secondly, those tools can be useful for clips which have a foot, it can help to push the foot out of the channel and free the clip, but I rarely use them. I mostly use a paint scraper, spatula, long thin screwdriver and a hammer. Push the paint scraper in and gently pry to create some room along the top edge so that you can locate the clips, then pull towards you at the clip itself. Then the spatula, being broad, will let you pull even more, and you can free the clip from the top channel with no problem. But the bottom channel is still stuck, so you position the head of the screwdriverin the channel right at the clip and give it a hit with the hammer - not too much force. Then go on down the line. You don't have to free every clip. In most cases, once you free three clips or so, the trim will slide off by pulling on it from the side which is free. For clips which have the foot, I use the screwdriver to push the foot out of the channel.

Alex,

Using one of the molding clip removers is just like anything else. At first it seems difficult and there's some frustration that sits in. After a couple of tries, it becomes easier. Pretty soon you can "release" the molding from the clips like a pro. I've tried both kinds and prefer the one like you pictured at the bottom. I've found one of the biggest obstacles to successfully removing the molding from the clips is dirt that's piled up over the years. I usually try to blow out as much of it as possible with compressed air before inserting the tool.

I'd hesitate to use a screwdriver and hammer. One obvious reason would be "hammer - glass - %*#@ - "where can I find a new window." The other problem is that you could mess up the rivets that the clips slide onto. Once the molding is off, it's a simple matter of sliding the clip off the rivet. They're positioned on the rivet with a keyhole slot. The clips are made of spring steel and you're just releasing the tension they're asserting on the molding. If you can get one piece off, put the tool on one of the exposed clips, look at how it works, and you'll be set to go for the rest of them. The short middle pieces is only a bridge and it not held on by a clip; it will come off with one of the longer pieces.

Good luck.

Ed

I agree with Ed - screwdrivers and hammers around window glass is definetly a no-no Alex! Old or aged glass can be very brittle and sometimes all you have to do is look at it the wrong way, and it will shatter or chip. A little practice using the tool properly, (I prefer the arrow head one), will eliminate the mystery of window trim removal. The first one is the challenge, after that they are pretty easy ! Maybe a little practice on some junkyard jewels, till you get the hang of it?