Dash not working ...

Guest Hitzzz

Guest Hitzzz

I'm having a problem with my dash going in and out ... seems that on warm days it works fine ... cold days it's in and out ... so ... I want to clean the contacts on the backside ... how do I go about removing the dash so that I can clean the contacts ...???

1990 Reatta

71k miles

Ron Hitzzz

Ron,

The IPC is the most common part to go bad on the '90-91 Reattas and when it does it will go black and have a 0 or a 00 where the odometer usually is. It can also be intermittant like yours. I have heard of folks cleaning the connector on the back of the IPC with some success but from my experience it is the IPC itself.

I have good IPCs and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

It is pretty easy to remove the IPC from the car.

In the upper corners of the air vents you will see a couple of torx screws and there may also be two of them above the steering column holding in place the bezel in front of the IPC, ECC and radio. The rest of the bezel is held to the dash by some push-in tabs on the back of the bezel. Remove these screws and the pull the bezel away from the IPC, ECC and radio using a pulling and wiggling method. Be sure to grab both the black face and it's chrome edging as these are two piece bonded together. After removing the bezel you will see the IPC is held in with 4 screws, two on each side. Remove these screws and the IPC can be pulled away from the dash. There is one connector in the rear and the IPC will just unplug.

I have a 1989 which experienced the same intermittent problem with the dash, although last week it went completely dark. I just pulled the IPC and cleaned the contacts and sprayed contact cleaner. Dash lights up fine now.

I suggest that the work will be quicker if you use a longer flexible shaft nut driver extension, and tilt the steering wheel to get at those four black hex head screws. There are 2 screws on each side of the IPC. There are other black screws nearby which hold the light switch and wiper switches in place. If you study the screws, you will know which ones to remove. Also,I had to move towards me the rubber decorative donut, which was impeding my being able to pull out the IPC.