65 riv front bumper

arnulfo de l.a.

can anyone tell me what size bolts go on the corners of the front bumper.what do you do when theres no mounting nut on one side .im thinking i need to cut the nut mount,bend it out,weld a nut on,bend the nut mount back in place,and weld the cut. anyone know of an easier way to do this? gracias,arnulfo ROA#11682

I would avoid cutting at all cost. I think that I'd try to make a bracket inside the fender that would hold a bumper bolt (carriage bolt) and do it the way the factory did it. With a nut welded to the bumper, I can just see some scratches in your paint.

Ed

Arnulfo,

Lots of folks left those bolts out after an accident. They found out the hard way that if the bumper got tapped the sheet metal got all rippled due to that bolt. I don't think that bolt supports the bumper as much as it does stop it from jiggling at engine idle. The inner fender has a baffle on the each side facing the wheel/tire. There's a hole in it...that's where the bolt goes through with big washers and a rubber grommet ( a body mount setup of sorts)The bolt goes through from the inner fender and out through the outer fender and threads into the bumper from there. There are horseshoe style rubber bumpers that slide in place between the fender and chrome to hide the threaded rod. Your chassis manual should have diagrams of this in the Sheet Metal chapter at the back of the book. Have fun, Steve