WTB High speed rear end gears for 1941 Lincoln. Leads?

georgealbrightg

As far as I know, there was only one axle ratio used in 1941 Lincolns. It is 4.44:1. That ratio can hardly be considered to be "high speed gears". I have heard that there was another ratio available in later years, but I'm sure that it was not very different and could not be considered "high speed" either.

Jeff is correct, the only viable option for "high speed rear end gears" for 1941 Lincolns would be the Columbia 2-speed axle. However, this will be an **EXPENSIVE** unit because 1941 was the last year that the Columbia axle was available in Lincolns AND the 1941 Lincoln tread width is 2 1/2 inches WIDER than previous years, making the 1941 Lincoln Columbia axle a **VERY** rare item indeed. (IF YOU FIND A 1941 LINCOLN COLUMBIA AXLE, **I** WANT IT FOR MY 1941 ZEPHYR!)

Also, Columbia axles were NOT built for "high performance" use. They are prone to failure when subjected to high horespower applicatons. I learned that from painful experience - I broke three Columbia axles in my Chevy powered 1939 Ford! After the third one, I installed an open drive line, 9-inch Ford rear axle and a Chevy overdrive transmission (I was a slow study in those years)!.

The only good part is that when a Columbia axle breaks, you lose the overdrive but the car will still get you home (or to the bank) in underdrive.

If you'll settle for a slightly higher, lower numerically, final ratio, you could consider taller (larger diameter) tires. My 48 LC came with 800/820-15 Denman tires, and inch or so taller than stock. You might find some even taller, or consider 16 or 17 inch wheels. Are you racing at Bonneville salt flats and need to go faster?

Abe

ARE U DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY...YEA RIGHT....

PULL INTO YOUR TRAILER AND DRIVE...OR ASK ROLF, HE DROVE A 41 CONNIE ACROSS COUNTRY IN STANDARD GEAR..LZ H-V12S ARE MADE TO RUN HIGH RPMS...LUGGING AROUND TOWN IS WHAT KILLED THEM!!!

YES A LITTLE SMART RESPONSE WAS WARRANTED...ALBRIGHT HAS POSTED BEFORE..I THINK WITH DUESY PARTS....AND HAS THE AUDACITY TO REQUEST "REASONABLE" PRICES...

REASONABLE LEFT 25 YEARS AGO..THIS IS A RICH MANS HOBBY

NOT UNLIKE OUR FAVE DRYCLEANER

Yeah, judging by his previous posts, George is a dealer looking to "steal" expensive parts for his customer(s).

"Reasonable" would be in the mind of the buyer. How bad you want it depends on how bad you NEED it! And there's always somebody out there waiting and willing to take your money.

Have we found you out, George??

Archived