Sign in to follow this  
jgorel70m

MCPHERSON COLLEGE SURVEY

I am currently a student of the automotive restoration department at McPherson college and I was curious what the outside worlds opinion was of the program? I was hoping either some members could message me or post what they think of the program.

Thanks in advance!!

As a graduate of MC in 1962 (back in the pleistocene) I was very interested in the fact that the college had such a program. And since I recently purchased a 1948 Lincoln Continental coupe for restoration it all the more interesting. The program is very well known--since I have had my car I have had the opportunity to speak to people from coast to coast and they are familiar with this unusual

educational field of study. It is so important. I have a friend here who has been in the field for 35+ years. He is no spring chicken any more and when he quits or passes on his art will be lost. He has had cars featured in Hot Rod, and other publications. He is truly an artist in automotive creation. His name is Dick Easterood, I have tried to talk him into taking on a serious understudy but I don't think it will happen.

To answer your query, yes,it is well known and has a great reputation to my knowledge. Glenn Lorei

I believe it was Jay Leno that pushed this particular college program on his show a while back. I have heard of the college and have heard nothing but praise about it.

I went to a Studebaker International meet in Omaha two years ago and had the opportunity to talk to the engineer who worked under Raymond Lowey in creating the 53 Lowey Coupe. After Studebaker he joined up with GM and work on Buicks. Adventually he created the Olds Tornodo. He had a ton of stories and one was on the talent coming out of McPherson. He stated that with each of the individual's work that he had seen it was at least three steps ahead of everyone else. He rated the school as top notch. Best of luck.

I met a guy selling a 1927 Buick near me. His son took courses at the college and the father had nothing good to say about it. It's possible his son was a bad student but I don't really know. All I know is that he thought the school was overrated and not very good. I don't know anyone else who has attended. It sounds like an interesting concept for a school.

The Studebaker National Foundation is one of the many organizations, corporations, and private citizens who support the McPherson College Antique Auto Restoration program.

It's a great thing to do, and I'm glad to be able to support the school and its programs and students with donations through Studebaker Drivers Club, Intl., and my local chapter.

Thankfully, their students are sure to be the future of the old car hobby. Keep it up, students! Hang in there, and make us all proud of the skills, abilities, and historical knowledge you are now keeping alive.

I personally have worked with 2 McPherson grads. Both are excellent people you can trust a car to. Since I'm a grad of MIT and was the Manufacturing Engineering Manager of International Harvester with 29 years of experience in building vehicles and engines, I'm not without some basis for judgement. I'm also a graduate of the apprentice program of the old Cincinnati Milling Machine Company, at that time the world's largest machine tool builder.

Regards, Dave Corbin