Yet another brake question

gearhead

I will need to be doing some brake work on my 89 Reatta. They shudder and squeak when I stop and it pulls severely to the left when I do a panic stop.<P>I see mention of a place that sells rebuilt units, which seems like a worthwhile exercise. I also have the numbers of the pads, the kit, the accumulator and the rotors.<P>My question is in the filling of a new system. I see that bleeding must be done with a power bleeder. Is that the only way to fill a new system? In other words, if I replace everything, do I need to have the car towed to the Buick dealership to have the power bleeding done?

Guest wally888

You should completely flush the system!<BR> Flushing/bleeding, neither requires any thing other than a foot and wrench.<BR> Easily Distracted x x x is the draft finished?<BR> You can probably find directions if you search the forum.

Guest EDBS0

Senior Member, wally888 <P>How do we get padgett "PROMOTED"?<P>Just got back from a 3 day 50th birthday celebration (not mine). Returned with 4 struts, EGR valve 4 new tires, 2 new headlights with H4 bulbs, plug wires, inner tie rod end, oil cooler, and more oils, lubricant cleaners and preservatives than carter has little liver pills. Also have a busy fun summer planned.<P>Coil pack still on backorder.<P>Should move to Phoenix to extend my season.<P>Some input from Prior required before can go ahead. AND also require some spare time.<P>a power bleeder can be had for $45 at <A HREF="http://www.motiveproducts.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.motiveproducts.com/</A> <P>Shuddering is a sign of warped rotors, replace them. Usually only fronts warp.<P>Pulling is a sign of a seized caliper piston. If the right piston is seized or partially seized when you apply the brakes the car will pull to the left. Replace/rebuild the caliper.<P>I don't think that a remanufactured master cylinder is required.<P>Much debate on proper/acceptable methods to bleed. Prior should have some ideas. Rears will pressure bleed without and special tools. See above link.<p>[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]