Stereo System

I would like to have all new speakers put into my Reatta.I want something with REAL GOOD sound.What do you guys recommend?<BR>Also, I want a CD player. Should I have a changer installed, or get a complete in-dash system. I do RESPECT all of your opinions.

Just one guys taste. Not sure what year you have. I replaced the 6 X 9s [$50 pair] in the rear and 5.25s [$30/pair] in the fronts of my 90 [wired in the stock tweeter for no real reason], and improved the speaker wiring. Changed the stock radio for a Jensen CD515K [off ebay] in dash 200 watt CD player. Everyone who rides in the car agrees that it sounds great. I personally prefer realistic to high base bias sound, so no effort to do subwoofers and bass assist. For some reason, the Reatta seems to have very good acoustics.

Guest mgibson

I have an 89 Reatta (White/Blue) in which I have just installed a Sony CDX-555RF CD changer (eBay $150). I mounted it just under the center brake light in trunk, hooked into the antenna wiring for power and grafted the output into the antenna---also in the trunk. That part took a little imagination and hunting for the right adapter---the one that worked was for a VW. Next I replaced the rear speakers with Memphis 2-way 6" round ($80/pair) and 4" round ($60/pair) from local audio shop. In the doors I used 5" round and plan to replace the tweeters with 4" round if they will fit. If not I may leave as is or disconnect them. The bass is great except for one problem. The bass started causing the surround panels under the rear window to rattle. I cured that with strategically placed chunks of foam rubber under the panels. If any of you will be in Kokomo, you can listen to them. You can identify the Reatta by the non-stock wheels. I recently put a set of the new Cadillac CTS wheels with Reatta emblems transplanted into the center. My advice---get the best speakers you can afford even with an otherwise stock system!

Guest EDBS0

<A HREF="http://shop.store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/in6935i6x93w.html" TARGET=_blank>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/in6935i6x93w.html</A> <P>This is the speaker that I am thinking of installing in the front doors. This is not a typo. I have, after much Dremel work, put 6 X 9s in the front door where 5.25 inch speakers previously resided for my Riv. Lots of cutting, patching and fitting. Previously used Phoenix Gold and the base, treble, image and sound stage are out of this world. Just took delivery of 4 struts, EGR valve 4 new tires, 2 headlights with H4 bulbs, plug wires, inner tie rod end, oil cooler, and more oils, lubricant cleaners and preservatives than carter has little liver pills. 6 X 9 Speakers in the front doors will be next but who knows when.<P>Coil pack still on back order.

I just installed Infinity Kappa 693.5i s in the rear of my '89 (used proper mounting brackets from a 90-91) as well as the 5 1/4" version in the doors (kept the door tweeters as well). What a tremendous differance in the quality and quantity of the sound!<BR> I would be curious to see what the installation of 6X9s in the doors looks like....post pics if you can.

Guest EDBS0

Honestly it is not pretty or easy.<P>Takes lots of cutting, heavy plastic, duct tape, avatar.php?userid=2090&dateline=1024722513 , urethane construction adhesive, soldering and finally Q tip paint brushes and black paint.<P>End result looks stock from the outside.<p>[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Rawja where did you get your mounting frame from?<BR>Robert those Infinity's are my next set.<BR>I installed the kappa 60.5cs, 6 half in the rear, but un-amped they don't sound that good. Plus my panels are rattleing in the rear now, not from the sound but I think the crossover is touching something; thanks for the rubber foam tip.<BR>I have the Kappa 50.5cs in the front I think they also need more juice. I purchased a Soundstream Class A amp but was afraid of electrical issues so I never installed it. Depending on how the 6 x9 sound I will either go with MTX 4244 amp (with smart engage system) or add a Infinity basslink Sub about the same cost for each. Ebay has good prices on the basslink. I will save the soundstream for the new PT cruiser turbo.<BR>With a subwoofer you really don't need large other speakers for the system to sound good.<BR>Most component systems sound best amped.

The 88-89 Reatta had 5 1/4" round + tweeters in the rear. 90-91 went to 6X9s installed in the rear. The only thing required to convert to a 6X9 installation on an 88-89 is the mounting brackets, which I obtained inexpensively from Jim Finn ( jfinn@computerpro.com ). The speaker grills used in the rear are the same for all years. The change-out is not terribly difficult but you will have to dissassemble the entire rear of your interior to get at the attachment points for the brackets. <P>If you have installed new speakers in the front, you can probably greatly improve the sound coming from them by removing the round foam speaker insulation that is installled on the door trim panel. The original factory speakers had a protective cover over the speaker that prevented the foam from contacting the speaker itself, while the Infinitys I installed were having speaker baffle to insulating foam contact that was muddying the sound something awful...

I suspect that a lot a people who upgrade those worn out factory speakers on a 89 Reatta end up a bit disappointed when they find out that most new tweeters don't seem to have the range the stock tweeters had. Judging from the sound I believe the old speakers employed a combination midrange/tweeter.<P>If you can still find JBL GT603C component speakers they employ a 2 inch combination midrange/tweeter which give great sound at the high end but there's a small price to pay. These speakers require a bit more power (i.e. volume) than stock speakers to get the full range of sound and the 5 1/4 inch woofers have an unusual mounting bracket; you'll also have to fabricate mounting brakets for the 2 inch tweeters.<P>Is the sound worth the mounting headaches? I think so. Is it worth buying the GT603Cs just for the 2 in midrange/tweeters? Yes.<P>Note that the 1 inch tweeters from the JBL GT502C fit perfectly in the old plastic tweeter braket if you remove the tin foil speaker material but they're no comparison to the tweeter/midrange combination of the GT603C. (JBL also sells the tweeter/midrange combination separately but they're not easy to find and even harder to find on sale). <P>In retrospect I like RawjaNYC's comment on changing the rear mounting brakets on an 89 to 6x9 mounting brakets. Since I ended up taking the back interior out to install the GT603C's it probably would have been less trouble to switch to 6x9's. If you take the interior out that's also the time to change the bulbs in your third brake light.