Just plain DUMB Looking

1937hd45

There are plenty of mechanical failures in the automotive past, how about a list of just DUMB looking features? I'll start off with the stamped in fake spare tire in 1960's Chrysler trunk lids. IF it had been real who could remove a tire hanging unside down under a trunk lid?

Speaking of Chryslers, how about those individual chrome light pods set into recesses in the front fenders of the aforementioned late '50s early '60s cars?

See also: 22" rims and performance tires on a Hummer.

After owning convertibles all my life (since my 1st car), I still wonder why they put on the fake ragtops complete with snaps and a faked in top bow humps. If ya want a ragtop, get one. What's next, painted on sunroof? Geez.

The new style of LARGE wheels just look out of place on most cars. Proportions!!!

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amphicar BUYER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If ya want a ragtop, get one. What's next, painted on sunroof? Geez.

</div></div>

http://jalopnik.com/cars/oh-yeahhh/a-faux-stick-on-sunroof-is-the-ultimate-car-accessory-291340.php grin.giflaugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a general rule Chrysler products 1934 - mid 1980's were nothing to look at in a positive light visually IMO. </div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAH oh man I almost died reading that! Isn't that a *mite* harsh? LOL

Yeah, the rims are 24" but the tires look like black rubber bands. laugh.gif Funny how you don't see those vehicles out on bad, snowy/icy days. Wonder what excuse they use when they call in because they can't get to work. "Uh, sorry boss my car has stupid tires on it and I can't get to work." blush.gifsmirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya like the 24" tires we saw on a new Charger. The individual actually had a 24" emblem on the front fenders. </div></div>

I see it all the time with the emblems. It's got to be a status thing. Perhaps these guys desperately want to advertise the size of something else, but since that number might be ridiculously small, they overcompensate with other things (Hummer H2s, 24" rims, excessive bling, etc.).

Anyone ever seen a girl swoon over a set of chrome rims and a loud stereo ("My, what large wheels you have--you're exactly the kind of man I want to get to know better, big boy!")? Or is it just a pathetic display of financial might? I recently tried to buy a house that was in just awful condition, but the owner (who lived there without a functioning shower/bathtub) was so over-mortgaged he could not afford to sell it even for his asking price without kicking in another $20K or so out of his own pocket. Of course, he had a new Cadillac Escalade with giant aftermarket wheels and a loud stereo. That was surely money well spent, my friend. frown.gif

Also, in defense of Mopars, I like the early Airflows (before they were "mainstreamed" with upright grilles) and the amazing '55 C-300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We used to call the Chrysler trunks with the embossed spare tire the "Norge" trunk, like the washing machines at the Norge Village laundrymat </div></div>

We always called them "toilet seat Chryslers."

We always called it a "birdbath" on the trunk. Still think the '57 Imperial was a great looking car. When the '57 Chrysler cars (Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler and Imperial) came out they really attracted attention on the road. I was walking to school when I saw a '57 Plymouth for the first time and could not believe my eyes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardinal905</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was the last time you saw a car with a luggage rack that had luggage tied to it??? </div></div>

You've obviously never tried to load a TR6 or MGA trunk! smirk.gifgrin.gif

Now a mini-van that <span style="text-decoration: underline">needs</span> a luggage rack (when it has a 1500 lb. carrying capacity overall anyway), that's a rare bird! crazy.gif

Others from the silly file:

1. The propeller on 1951 Crosleys.

2. Late 1970s Ford products (LTD II, Lincoln Mk. V, Cougar) with fake vinyl trunk belts.

3. Fake convertible roofs (alreay mentioned) <span style="text-decoration: underline">on sedans</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">especially 2006 and up Buick sedans!</span></span>

4. Any mudflap that covers the entire back of a station wagon.

5. Any rear spoiler on any car incapable of 100 mph.

6. Fake/dummy clocks, reverse lights, fog lamps, etc.

7. Any decal that takes up more than 50% of the hood.

8. Any fake full-width taillight panel, <span style="text-decoration: underline">especially</span> ones <span style="font-style: italic">painted red</span> instead of made of plastic (i.e. 1969 Ambassador).

9. Free-standing turn signals that are supposed to look like fog lamps (early Honda Civic, Plymouth Arrow, etc.).

10. Opera lights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(fart pipes) kids are so fond of today? </div></div>lmao that is what I call them too smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

7. Any decal that takes up more than 50% of the hood.

</div></div> <span style="color: #3333FF">LMAO!

(Visualizing all those "Fire-Chicken" and Burt Reynolds fans cringing right now!) </span> laugh.gif

Any use of the word "Custom" on the outside of a car when it really means a mass-produced model.

Putting 10 or 20 grand into "custom van" modifications with the little chrome ladder up to a rooftop luggage rack and the shag carpeting, like people did in the 70's. What happened to all of these vans, anyway?

The fake machine guns on the hoods of 57 Chevrolets. Either it's a Sopwith Camel or it's not!

Flocking cars. I knew a guy in New Jersey who completely covered the body of his new '68 Corvette with this bright orange furry stuff called flocking. Maybe that fad was limited to Jersey in the 60's.

This is turning out better than I thought! Here is another thing that drives me nuts, directional hubcaps or wheels, you know four of a kind. One side of the car looks like it is traveling ar 150MPH the other looks like the wheels are locked up sliding to a stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a list of just DUMB looking features? </div></div>

Oh boy! How about just about any of chrome do-dads, do-hickeys, thing-a-ma-jigs, or gee-gaws GM adorned their 1958 cars with, especially but not "Limited" (pun intended) to the Buicks and Olds.......Bob

Guest Skyking

Windshield wipers on head lights...........I've been driving for 46 years and I can't think of one time in my life where I needed them....and another ridiculous feature on cars & SUV's, white tail light lenses.

A current design feature that I think is just plain dumb looking is the newer model Dodge Super Bee bright yellow trucks with a spoiler located right above the tailgate. I guess these sport car trucks are really not intended to haul anything other than the driver and one passenger because you cannot get anything into the bed of the truck if it is more than a couple of inches higher than the tailgate.

One other item that is just plain dumb, people who have aftermarket conversions of their vehicles to add multiple flat screen video monitors, including having the drivers side airbag removed so they can have a video screen mounted in the center of the steering wheel.

Guest edalfa
Others from the silly file:

, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">especially 2006 and up Buick sedans!</span></span>

I was at the Buick dealer today and they had a Lucerne "Presidential"- an extra $1,026.00 for a fabric top and a cheesy pinstripe. No thank you!

While were at it, I don't understand fuzzy dice. How did they end up being the go-to accessory for any car older than 25 years?

Ed

How about fake wire wheels, or for that matter real wire wheels on any car made after WW2 (except for certain English throwbacks).

On the subject of wheels what about the so called "continental" spares, at high speed they are like dragging a parachute behind the car.

About as practical as washing your face with shoe polish.

I like the Imperials with the fake spare on the trunk and freestanding headlights.

What I think is tacky are the little Subarus with spoilers almost as high as the roof, hood scoop almost as big as the hood, and 20" wheels.

Also the fake Buick portholes look ridiculous on Chrysler 300's, Dodge Chargers, Cadillac Escalades, PT Cruisers, and Chevy Tahoes, basically anything that isn't a Buick.

20" or larger wheels look stupid on any car. It makes them look like a giant Hot Wheels toy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

.(Hummer H2s, 24" rims, excessive bling, etc.)....</div></div>

Actually, even "better" are the SUVs with monster chrome rims, rubber band tires, and BRUSH GUARDS! Apparently this is for the URBAN jungle.

Not that my ex-wife would do that to her Avalanche or anything... smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting 10 or 20 grand into "custom van" modifications with the little chrome ladder up to a rooftop luggage rack and the shag carpeting, like people did in the 70's. What happened to all of these vans, anyway?

</div></div>

They're all driving around Ohio, at about 32 mph. mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Flocking cars. I knew a guy in New Jersey who completely covered the body of his new '68 Corvette with this bright orange furry stuff called flocking. Maybe that fad was limited to Jersey in the 60's.

</div></div>

In the early 1970s Volkwagen offered <span style="text-decoration: underline">factory</span> flocked VW Bugs! Oh, they looked <span style="font-style: italic">"wonderful"</span> after 3-4 years in PA! sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Cullen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need bug screens like that down here during love-bug season! </div></div>

I bought one of these (a J.C. Whitney-style custom made for the model and year) for my 1960 Buick on eBay about 5 years ago. It saved <span style="font-style: italic">tons</span> of cleaning on prolonged tours.

They do look like hell, but I'm really glad I had one! smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edalfa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While were at it, I don't understand fuzzy dice. How did they end up being the go-to accessory for any car older than 25 years?

Ed </div></div>

It's a "Fifties Thing". Like poodle skirts and letter sweaters. You had to be there to get it. cool.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a "Fifties Thing". Like poodle skirts and letter sweaters. You had to be there to get it.</div></div>

Hmm- on "Just plain DUMB Looking", middle aged people at a show or cruise in 50s teenage garb is about as dumb as it gets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hmm- on "Just plain DUMB Looking", middle aged people at a show or cruise in 50s teenage garb is about as dumb as it gets. </div></div>

Them there is fightin words. crazy.gif

Awwww, Gee wis...Quit pickin on the old folks tryin to relive a little of their past.

I think it is neat when folks dress up in the fashion of the era of their car. cool.gif

Dandy Dave! wink.gif

The mentions of phony convertible tops and by extension vinyl roofs makes me laugh. At one point in the 90s new cars really, really don't look good with vinyl roofs. The designs just call for the clean look of the C-pillar uncluttered by the vinyl. Yet there are old gummers who want to "smart up" their Lincoln town car or Chrysler 300 and the dealer makes $$$$ on every transaction. The worst offenders were the folks to put vinyl roofs on the 90s Chrysler LH sedans--hoo boy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm- on "Just plain DUMB Looking", middle aged people at a show or cruise in 50s teenage garb is about as dumb as it gets. </div></div>

Dumber looking still, in my opinion, are the guys that are in their sixties and even seventies with their hair dyed coal black and still wearing a DA haircut all greased down. They are still wearing pegged jeans with the cuff rolled up, white t-shirts with the sleeves pegged and white socks with black loafers. Talk about not being able to get out of a time warp. And they aren't at car shows looking like this.

For you youngsters, "pegged" refers to where the legs of jeans/slacks and the sleeves of shirts/t-shirts were altered to be very snug in fit. Guys that smoked left their sleeves just loose enough to roll the pack up in their sleeve.

The best of the worst--when the guys in their 60s and 70s dressed like teenagers stop off for a bite on the way home from cruise night and are at the same restaurant as the square dancers the same age dressed like they are in a community theater version of "Oaklahoma"

Only a Toyota full of Trekies could improve that scene.

"The best of the worst--when the guys in their 60s and 70s dressed like teenages stop off for a bite onthe way home from cruise night and are at the same restaurant as the suqare dancers the same age dressed like they are in a community theater version of "Oaklahoma" "

Now I am totaly confused! I dont know whether I should wear Dungerees or weather I should wear knickers!

Ah wether, weather, whether?