Sign in to follow this  
James Wright

Best Tires for a '32 Chevy

I am restoring a '32 Chevy coupe. I'm calling on the vast experience of my fellow AACA members to help me pick the right tires. They are 5.25/5.50X18. I want tires made in the USA. I want whitewalls that don't turn yellow and would prefer a top brand name (Goodyear, Firestone, etc.) Do any of these manufacturers still make vintage tires or are they all made by Coker using the original molds? I know there are a thousand opinions so give me yours and I tally the votes.

Good luck on fullfilling your requierments! I also vote blackwalls, those whitewalls are truly inappropriate on that car.

James, MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY!

I have restored two '32 Chevy's; a Sport Coupe and a Coach. Both cars are Deluxe versions with sidemounts. Both cars are Grand National Senior cars and the Sport Coupe is the 2005 Louis Chevrolet Award Winner. While the '32 Chevy may be more appropriate with blackwalls, I choose Coker Firestone whitewalls BECAUSE it looks better and makes ME happy. The Coach was done in 1996 and the tires still clean up very well even after 3 Glidden Tours. There is no yellowing and the tires look great on the car.

MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY, IT'S YOUR CAR!

Mickey

Mickey is a 1932 Chevrolet Sport Coupe what us FORD guys call a Cabriolet? I know our Victoria is your Five passenger coupe, and I've had many miles of riding shotgun in a '31 Chevy Vicky.

Dear Mr.Wright,IMHO blackwalls are the way to go,nothin looks better than blackwalls when they are clean and do not EVER Armorall em.diz

James,

To help answer your initial question, the only "brand" name tires being made today for your car are the B.F. Goodrich and the Firestone. Both are USA made by Coker Tire and not the original manufactures. Sorry to say, but the Goodyear tires that you mentioned are not made in a 18 inch.

Both the Goodrich and Firestone have the correct period look, or tread design for your '32. One cosmetic difference between these two tires, is that the Firestone will have the Firestone lettering in the whitewall and the B.F. Goodrich will be smooth. I've driven on both in 18" and they ride very well, but my preference would be the Goodrich.

What a ton on information. I have some time to decide. The car currently has Sears/Allstate whitewalls and looks pretty good but they're cracked and hard as a rock. I've seen some with blackwalls and like both. Thanks for the info.

James, whatever you replace the Sears tires with will be a big improvement. Dad bought them for his '31 Ford Roadster in the early 1960's and I replaced them with Firestones from Coker and it really changed the look of the car, they are a much better full size tire.