54 Mercury engine swap

Hi, I am new to this form but have read and learned a lot already. I have a 54 Mercury 2 door hardtop that I would like to put a later model engine in, maybe a 302, 351 or 390. Can someone tell me how difficult this is and what parts will I need to buy or make to do this swap. Also on the transmission it is a 3 speed in the floor now but I may put an automatic in it so I need to know which late model transmissions will fit.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Wade

• 3 weeks later...

A 390 will bolt in using the Y block mounts,I think they need to be reversed or swapped sides. If you use a 390 you could use your original trans if you use a 58 to 64 bellhousing but you might have to use the starter and flywheel for those years of bellhousing with some clutch linkage modifications. A small block can be bolted in using 63/64 galaxie mounts with one inch spacers between the mounts and motor and I heard about some late model mustang and p/u mounts working too. You need to go on the yahoo groups wagonville II website as its for 50 to 59 Ford wagons and those guys have done many swaps and you 54 Merc is similar to the 55/6 Fords. Jeff