53 skylark exhaust manafold

maseratibillm

hi guys!!!!... i am restoring a 53 skylark that has been in my family since 1957....what do i do with the exhaust manafolds?..i was thinking about having them blasted and then spraying them with laquer until i am ready for them.???????????any suggestions???

thanks!!!!!!

bill muse

I wire brushed my exhaust manifold and intake manifold when I rebuilt my engine in my '40 Roadmaster. I used a dremel with a small wire brush attachment to get into the hard to reach areas. I used the Eastwood cast iron exhaust manifold paint on them and they look very good.

I have had good luck with the Eastwood coating described above.

Best to sand-blast the parts, though, and use a few coats of the Eastwoods. Then assemble

It does not last for ever, but it can be dabbed on with a small rough paintbrush for occasional touch-ups.

What a cool car to be working on!! Have fun.

Doug Cook

Lacquer will last exactly 30 seconds after you fire the engine. The paints listed above are OK, but on a high-dollar car like the Skylark, I'd consider a ceramic coating like Jet-Hot, which can be done in a cast iron gray that looks like uncoated metal and never rusts or burns. I'm having my '41 Century manifolds done in the near future. A somewhat pricey but permanent solution. If you're going to invest in a Skylark, don't skimp on the details. Do it right the first time and never think about it again is my motto.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your car!