Anybody have a good way to touch up chrome?

jimtash

I'm gathering up the pieces here for my A/C conversion and I have a question about the chrome trim. The radio face place where the center vent is located has a few areas where the chrome has pitted and flaked off. Anybody have any success touching up chrome and ended up being satisfied with it? Or should I send it off to be re-chromed?

One more question I have concerns the vinyl on the faceplate. It's intact but hard. What could I use to soften it up?

Jim,

The vinyl you're refering to is more like a contact paper than real vinyl. It was never really "soft" like your seats. If it's all there and not stretched, you can glue it back down. If it's stretched, the best thing to do is to recover all the pieces to match in some new vinyl. What you're looking for is called camera vinyl. It was used to wrap 35mm cameras before the advent of the digital camera. Make sure that you by a pieces at least 12-1/2" wide. 12" will cover the radio faceplate, but if you leave the vinyl on the backing too long before installing it, the vinyl will shrink just a bit. I have enough left off a roll to redo my '63, except that the 12" piece I ordered is now about 11-3/4" wide and it takes 12" to cover the radio face plate. You can't turn it 90 degrees or the change in pattern is noticeable.

Here's a link to the stuff to which I'm refering. Good luck. The really good stuff here is actual leather, you want leatherette unless you want to go better than OEM by using real leather.

http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/

Ed

Ed-

There are 4 black leatherettes shown. Which is the closest match to original '63 Riv?

If the vinyl sheets shrink so much and so quickly before application, what keeps them from shrinking after you put them on the car? The last thing I want to do it apply new vinyl and have it shrink back in a year or two, leaving a big gap at the edges again.

Although an upgrade from original, perhaps embossed leather will not shrink so much with time, look nicer longer?

Jim,

I'm making an educated guess here. The vinyl has a peel away backing on it that is very slick. I think that when there's nothing for the adhesive to grip to, it will shrink. The parts of my '63 that I did umpteen years ago, are still the same dimensions as they were when I put them on. It's only the vinyl that's still with the backing that's shrunk.

From the picture of your ash tray that you sent to me a year or more ago, none of them are an exact match. I was thinking that the real leather Levant might be as close as any that I've seen. What I think would really look good on your car, considering the exterior and interior colors, would be the exotic leather cocoa paradise snake.

Perhaps we should choose one and make it the new standard. LOL

Ed

Guest gdiwicker

How do you cut the pattern for a standard 64 interior? I saw a tricked out 63 that Fat Lucky had put white plastic (like the pearly kind you see on Fender guitar pick guards) and it looked great. I always wondered if there was an available pattern out there or you justhave to measure and cut.

I was selling replacement vinyl pieces a number of years ago through the Riview. I went through a lot of heavy paper before getting a good template made. Covering a 64/65 is much easier than a '63. 64/65 pieces are all straight cuts; the '63 has to make a bend at a curve where the console goes from flat to angled and needs a cutout for the ash tray. You'll need a straigt edge and a good wallpaper knife (the kind with the snap off blades.) With practice, you can do it.

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadgerRivFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Randy is not a favorite of many, but just thought I'd through this out there...

</div></div>

Actually Randy has been good to me with the parts I've purchased off of him.

BTW, this isn't an endorsement of any kind fellas so don't get mad at me. It's just my experience.