Sign in to follow this  
Dick380185

New Fire Extinguisher Rule Problems?

Perhaps I should be writing this in the "Judges" section...Not sure. Now that we've had a couple '08 AACA meets under our belts, I was wondering if there has been any problems with show entrants not having the newer (A-B-C) fire extinguishers, since the B-C ones are no longer allowed.

Dick, I was waiting for Steve to say something.

Comments from Charlotte from the judging seminar........"The Charlotte Meet will be the <span style="font-weight: bold">last meet</span> to allow the old extinguishers!"

So, I'd assume you need to be prepared for the next show.

Wayne

New Fire Extinguisher rules.....

Well, at the Charlotte Meet, our team had only 4 of the 7 cars in our class on the Show Field due to the weather. But, of those 4 cars, only 2 had the correct fire extinguisher, a 1A5BC or better. The 2 cars that didn't have the correct fire extinguisher had BC units, but they don't fight type A fires. The owners were notified, and they thought since their fire extinguishers were big and heavy they must be OK...Wrong! (Read the fine print!!)

1A10BC fire extinguishers are more readily available than 1A5BC units and, of course, exceed the minimum requirement. They can be purchased at places like Lowe's and Home Depot for around $13 each.

For the first two 2008 meets it was decided by the VP of Class Judging to notify owners whose fire extinguishers did not meet the new requirement without disqualifying them. But, I'll bet there will be lots of owners at the next meet that won't meet the new requirement. (For the Sunshine Dual Meet, I even put a note on the Meet Brochure...how many owners read it?)

Art Griffin

Art, I don't know how much trouble it would be, but I'd suggest it be printed on the outside of the Show Packet in LARGE RED LETTERS what the requirements are in the meet in question.

I'm also guilty of not reading everything in the different envelopes that I received at Charlotte. I missed a free mixed drink at the host hotel, because I couldn't find my ticket(didn't look hard enough). frown.gif

Wayne

Art I dont know what class had wrong extinguishers, must have been real old timers. Most all I see in stores are 1a10bc, might be a good iidea to have 1/2 a doz. for sale at the meets.

For the Sunshine Dual Meet, the first meets in 2008, we had a dozen 1A10BC fire extinguishers from AACA that we made available to attendees. They all sold within a few hours, so AACA made a wise decision to have them available.

Art

Hi Wayne,

You didn't have too many paid ones to miss the free did you. Also, that is a good idea about the large letters on the meet package.

Our team judged two-wheelers and all 11 vehicles had a correct extinguisher. Sort of ironic since they previously only required the 5BC which is indeed smaller than the 1A5BC. The proper fire extinguishers that I bought are the same size as the old ones I owned. Have not been able to find a 1A5BC but the 1A10BC is readily available and mine from Lowe's were $14.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Art, I don't know how much trouble it would be, but I'd suggest it be printed on the outside of the Show Packet in LARGE RED LETTERS what the requirements are in the meet in question. Wayne </div></div>

And in additon, it needs to be clearly stated that each vehicle must have it's own correct fire extinguisher. Not that they can bring one for all the vehicles that they bring and move it from vehicle to vehicle.

I ran into this problem several years ago at Hershey. A guy had paid to ship three stunning cars to his first show. Spent a lot to do that. He had even asked over the phone about extinguishers and still misunderstood the rule, he honestly thought as long as he had one that was enough.

I was the Deputy Chief (back when we still had those) for the team judging those cars. I had the team judge all his cars and then I waited by his cars for a half hour while one of his friends went into the flea market to buy two more extinguishers rather than disqualify two of his cars.

He was a nice guy, he had tried to get the correct information and it would have been very sad to tell him that because he tried to follow the rule, but didn't quite, that he would go home without two First Junior trophies that his cars clearly deserved.

Sore feet after standing there for half an hour: You bet. cry.gif

Look of concern on the owner's face that he could have been really messed over despite his best efforts: Will never forget it. frown.gif

The chance to see the smile on his face when he realized that wasn't going to happen to him: priceless. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbarn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have not been able to find a 1A5BC but the 1A10BC is readily available </div></div>

Does anybody know where one can purchase a 1A5BC extinguisher (short of having to order) as I need a couple extinguishers that are smaller then the 1A10BC units (for the smaller vehicles).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the Sunshine Dual Meet, the first meets in 2008, we had a dozen 1A10BC fire extinguishers from AACA that we made available to attendees. They all sold within a few hours, so AACA made a wise decision to have them available</div></div>It's funny you mention that Art. I judged both days in Melbourne and none of the vehicles that my team judged on either day had the wrong extinguisher.

The extinguishers that I bought exceeded the minimum requirement and didn't cost that much more (I think it was around $5 more) and had a warranty that was twice the amount of what the cheap one had.

Guest imported_Bookreader

NONE OF THE CARS IN THE CLASS I JUDGED THAT WERE GOING FOR FIRST JUNIOR HAD THE CORRECT FIRE EXTINGUISHER. IF THE RULE HAD NOT BEEN WAIVED; NONE WOULD HAVE BEEN JUDGED. TWO SAID THEY HAD NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS AND ONE DIDN'T HAVE ANY FIRE EXTINGUISHER SO HE WAS DISQUALIFIED AND ONE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WOULDN'T REALLY MATTER.

Best buy yet - COSTCO has a package with two 1A10BC units for $18. Have not yet found a 1A5BC.

Fran, it may be too late at this point for some upcoming meets, but it sounds like the registration forms to be sent back to the meet host region needs to have some larger print that denotes this rules change.

Wayne

Well, there goes my rep! cool.gif

But thanks Wayne. smile.gif I just put myself in his place and wanted to do what I felt was the right and humane thing. He tried to get it right the first time. Trust me he probably had extras the next time he showed up. And hopefully he spred the word about the rule so no one else would make the same mistake.

Don't throw Water on a Gasoline Fire.

Just heard on the local news that there was a fire yesterday afternoon at an old factory building in Johnson City, New York that is now being used for vehicle storage.

The cause:

A "mechanic" trying to start a "Collector Car" in storage, poured some gasoline down the carb. Subsequent backfire started a fire. "Mechanic" threw some water on the fire which did nothing more than spread it around. Seven other vehicles were also stored in the area! That's all I know for now.

When trying to start your car after storage, PLEASE KEEP AN AACA APPROVED ABC Type Fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fran, it may be too late at this point for some upcoming meets, but it sounds like the registration forms to be sent back to the meet host region needs to have some larger print that denotes this rules change.

Wayne </div></div>

I just registered for the Cumberland Meet last night.

After printing out and signing the form I noticed a note about fire extinguishers on the form.

I agree with you that the size of the print could be enlarged and <span style="font-weight: bold">BOLD Print</span> could be used as needed.

I also agree that all paperwork (either from on-line or US mail registration) for meets in 2008 should have the enlarged print on the fire extinguisher size/change.

Personally, I started carrying the new spec fire extinguisher last year (2007). One less thing to remember/think about this year.

This is POST-Cumberland meet, but on show day I took a peek at the fire extinguishers of three of the participants at the end of one row when I first walked onto the show field.  TWO of those three units were the no-longer- acceptable B:C units. There had to have been MANY others on the field. Apparently the judges were forgiving to those two entrants, because I think they won their awards they were after. I'm not criticizing the entrants OR the judges, but I think that the new extiguisher rule is going to take longer to "catch on" than what was originally anticipated. Apparently people don't read their ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE too thoroughly nor do they frequent this forum.

Dick, the Class Judging Committee met again to discuss the fire extinguisher rule and announced a change at the judges meeting on Saturday. The rule was meant to be helpful! It was made with consultation of numerous fire experts. It was a good rule! Now here comes the but, it confused some people and did not take into account concerns some had about using the ABC formula. So, the committee has decided that it is time AACA allowed the cars owner to protect his/her car the best way possible and for us to only mandate a <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> functional UL approved fire extinguisher <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> . That is the new rule. It met with large applause at the judges meeting (which included a lot of car owners) and has made things very simple and understandable for car owners. If you do have a wood bodied car having a ABC unit is highly reccomended.

Steve, Sounds like the best way to address the concerns of all AACA members with regards to fire protection of our vehicles.

BTW, any thoughts as to when this change will be passed onto the AACA Members not at this meeting in Cumberland?

One would think that this is at the top of someone's To Do list to get this information into the next issue of the AACA Magazine and on the AACA web site A.S.A.P. wink.gif

Steve, I wasn't able to attend the judges meeting, but I did attend the banquet and the rule wasn't mentioned there (that I heard.) I agree the original rule was one that was meant to be helpful to all. However, I applaud whoever came up with the latest (and hopefully final) idea which is excellent....No wonder there was hearty applause! smile.gif Dick

Charlie, don't want to leave this unanswered but waiting to make all the proper posts and announcements after our board meeting in June. Probably belongs on my To-Do list but I want it to be completely right before I stick my foot in my mouth. Shoe leather tastes awful!