Trailer Towing Safety Seminar????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Charlie, can you take a picture of your hitch equipment? I'm not sure some of us know exactly you have on the tow vehicle.

Thanks,

Wayne </div></div>

Wayne, I do not have any photos of my hitch setup at this time.

When I have an opportunity to take a picture, I will but it might be a while.

Until then, the following link shows the setup I have.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Strait_Line_Weight_Distribution_Trunnion_Bar_Kitwith_Hitch_Bar,66084

The weight distributing hitch on the 4Runner came standard with the V8 model I purchased.

This receiver is bolted to numerous places on the undercarriage/frame with some fairly beefy bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That picture is fine, Charlie. I'd never seen a sway system like that. It's completely different from the old style Reese that I have.

Wayne </div></div>

I think I have seen some of the older style Reese systems that you are talking about.

The design I have also handles very sharp turns and dips in road surfaces. That can come in handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't get an opinion from the "New Forum", so I'll ask here.

I usually tow with a Motorhome and think I'm pretty good at it. I tow either an enclosed car hauler or an open aluminum car trailer (my preferrred choice).

Now I would like to be able to tow either with other than the motorhome and I'm selling my extened cab pickup and want a Tahoe or Yukon with a short wheel base that will fit in my garage.

I've been told that a short wheel base is a nightmare to tow with. So, what do the experts think??????

Anybody have an opinion? And rational.

</div></div>

Paul, I towed full sized '59 and '63 Buicks on an 18' open aluminum trailer behind a short wheelbase '03 Yukon and while it did it without any problems, I was never real comfortable with it. I got the tail wagging the dog feeling with it. Always felt like the trailer wanted to pull the back end of the truck around on curves. Seemed to be more pronounced on urban highways at highway speed where curves tend to be sharper than those out on the open road. I switched last year to a Chev 2500 HD gas crew cab pickup and I feel much more confident with this setup. More power, better brakes and more stable. Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I think those big cars and their weight would push anything

around with a short wheel base. My heaviest is the 35 Buick and it only weights about 3700. That's got to be a ton less than what you pull.

I know that longer tows better but I only tow to National Tours and the rest of the year I'd like to keep the tow vehicle inside. My Silverado is 2 1/2 feet longer than my wife's old Caddy Fleetwood.(last of the big boats) It tows fine but gets filthy living outside.

Paul