Flushing rust out of engine block

1929Chrysler

Last year I had my engine overhauled and during that process my rebuilder filled the water chamber with water and muriatic acid as the cylinder walls were caked with heavy rust. After soaking some time he flushed it out with a power washer and sent it out to be washed again. When he got it back it "looked" pretty good.

After running the engine for several hours, unseen chunks broke loose and clogged my radiator. I removed the water jacket covers, water pump and thermostat housing. Inside was chunks of rust every where.I did my own power flushing the best I could end then ran Prestone rust flusher for about six hours and flushed the sytem again. It seems better. The radiator has lost a lot of flow no matter how many times I flush. Luckily, I did find a replacement.

My question so it doesn't happen to the new radiator is is there any thing other than the prestone I can run through the block that is harsher thus clean better than the prestone while I still have the old radiator in place?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Unfortunately you will be bugged with this debris for quite a while yet, why not put a filter in the upper radiator hose to catch the muck and just pull it out every so often to clear it, even one of her stockings will do the trick.

ch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stude8

At this point you might just add a can of Prestone water pump lube and rust inhibitor to the coolant. It used to be commonly found at auto parts stores but with most modern permanent antifreeze being rust inhibitve I don't see it often now.

I had an engine rebuilt once (10 years ago) and one step that was offered was to "Tumble" the bare block with steel shot on a big rotary machine they had that left the casting rust, dirt and paint free looking like it was nickle plated in and out.

Stude8

Guest wombvette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1929Chrysler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The filter sounds like a great idea! Any ideas or products you can recomend for flushing and stopping the rust from going any further?

Thank you

Dan </div></div>

Also hang a strong magnet near the inlet pipe in the top of the radiator. It will attract and catch the chunks.