Weight of Hard Top

Does anyone have an idea of the hard top weight. I am setting up a hoist in my garage and wish to get the right size blocks and pulleys, as well as the proper size rope.

Joe Baiunco

red 91-ginger, tan

89 cabernet, ginger, black

Guest David Simons

Joe , I just made the same rig in my garage you are speaking of. Do yourself a favor,for peace of mind , just figure everything at 400 lbs,the rope ,the block and tackle ,rate it all for 400 lbs. I know that is a tremendous overkill but at least you will be able to sleep at night not fearing the top will have put itself back on the car.

In the 2 I built for my TCs I used 1/4" bolt thru J hooks, except for the first one off of the winch. That one carries both the front and rear ropes, that is a 5/16" J hook. The rope is 5/16" double braid nylon, The pulleys are in fact the weakest link but 5/16" plastic pulleys I think are strong enough. Each pulley is connected to the J hook by a 1/4" screw link. The winch is a 2 way ratchet type that came with cable that I removed and re-strung with the 5/16" double braid nylon line. Good Luck, Lou

p.s. I do not believe in the screw-in lag type J hooks..

Guest David Simons

Joe, Lou is correct about the screw in j hooks. I used an Eye bolt and went through the flat side of the truss. If you do not have a ceiling to deal with,this is the way to go. My pulley though is steel and way heavier than I needed. The winch, I left with cable due to my fear of rot in the rope and the suns effect on nylon rope. I am sure it would have been fine. After all, how much sun do you get inside the garage? I guess I am just paranoid.