1984 Toronado Dash Lights

Just bought a '84 Toronado and I'm really enjoying it. Only one issue and that is the dash lights have burned out. When I bought the car only one side of the speedometer was lit up but that side went dark last week.

It seems virtually impossible to get your hand up inside of the dash to change these bulbs.

Does the front dash have to come off to change the bulbs? If so, how do I go about it? Any tips?

Just bought a '84 Toronado and I'm really enjoying it. Only one issue and that is the dash lights have burned out. When I bought the car only one side of the speedometer was lit up but that side went dark last week.

It seems virtually impossible to get your hand up inside of the dash to change these bulbs.

Does the front dash have to come off to change the bulbs? If so, how do I go about it? Any tips?

Guest pfloro

Hello Gary:

I also have an '84 Toronado & have changed the instrument panel lamps

more than once. It's not a task for the faint of heart...

My shop manual doesn't state that you HAVE to remove the instrument cluster to change the panel lamps but it DOESN'T say it can be done by simply reaching behind the dash... In all honesty, those GM shop manuals leave something to be desired.

I have removed the cluster to change the lamps. If you would like, I can scan & email the shop manual pages which detail the steps. It's a very 'doable' job but takes patience & care. The steering column must be lowered to provide clearance to remove the faux wood instrument panel cover. Then the side gauges & speedometer are removed. The glass wedge lamps are finally changed from the front.

If you're doing this job, I strongly recommend that you change EVERY lamp:

panel lamps, turn signal, high beam indicator and lamps in the 'telltale' (the idiot lamps to the left of the cluster). You may also want to change the lamp in the A/C control head.

I've owned my Toronado since new (182,000 miles) & know it inside & out (IMHO). I've recently completed the interior restoration & it's now in the shop for body and paint work...

Just let me know.

Paul

Guest pfloro

Hello Gary:

I also have an '84 Toronado & have changed the instrument panel lamps

more than once. It's not a task for the faint of heart...

My shop manual doesn't state that you HAVE to remove the instrument cluster to change the panel lamps but it DOESN'T say it can be done by simply reaching behind the dash... In all honesty, those GM shop manuals leave something to be desired.

I have removed the cluster to change the lamps. If you would like, I can scan & email the shop manual pages which detail the steps. It's a very 'doable' job but takes patience & care. The steering column must be lowered to provide clearance to remove the faux wood instrument panel cover. Then the side gauges & speedometer are removed. The glass wedge lamps are finally changed from the front.

If you're doing this job, I strongly recommend that you change EVERY lamp:

panel lamps, turn signal, high beam indicator and lamps in the 'telltale' (the idiot lamps to the left of the cluster). You may also want to change the lamp in the A/C control head.

I've owned my Toronado since new (182,000 miles) & know it inside & out (IMHO). I've recently completed the interior restoration & it's now in the shop for body and paint work...

Just let me know.

Paul

• 3 years later...

Dear Paul,

I found your tech article on changing light bulbs in the dash of a 1984 Olds Toronado. I have my mom and dad's Toronado now and my problem is NO lights in the AC/Heater/Defrost/Blower controls. You spoke of a light bulb in the A/C control head. Where is that exactly and how do I get to it? I was thinking that whole area was lit up by fiberoptics, but mayby not. I do also have dash light out in the speedometer area. Can you please scan and send me the shop manual pages that detail the steps to removing the cluster to change the lamps? And also the part on how to get to the A/C control head. I would very much appreciate it! My e-mail address is: cjpravecek@aol.com. Thanks much!

Chad Pravecek

• 9 years later...