tach on 1965 rivi gran sport

arnulfo de l.a.

theres a 65 rivi g.s. listed on ebay. the ad lists a tach as a factory option and shows a picture of it mounted above the a/c controls.the chrome trim that goes aroud the a/c/ controls look like they were factory made to accomodate the tach.the tach does not say buick on it like the ones they put on the 65 wildcat but the chrome bezel around the tach does look like the buick wildcat tachs. does anyone know if this was a factory option for rivis? i looked at my buick manuals and they only mention the tack option for the wildcat and show the wiring diagram for it but not for the rivi.

theres a 65 rivi g.s. listed on ebay. the ad lists a tach as a factory option and shows a picture of it mounted above the a/c controls.the chrome trim that goes aroud the a/c/ controls look like they were factory made to accomodate the tach.the tach does not say buick on it like the ones they put on the 65 wildcat but the chrome bezel around the tach does look like the buick wildcat tachs. does anyone know if this was a factory option for rivis? i looked at my buick manuals and they only mention the tack option for the wildcat and show the wiring diagram for it but not for the rivi.

That is BOGUS - All Buick Tachs had the BUICK logo on the face and that of all places is NOT where it should be mounted . Not only is that BOGUS but look at the placement of the GRAN SPORT emblem on the fender - not correct . There is some indication that a Dealer would mount the tach on top of the dash but I remove the ashtray and mount it in the face of the ashtray cover . I can send a pic. if you like.

That is BOGUS - All Buick Tachs had the BUICK logo on the face and that of all places is NOT where it should be mounted . Not only is that BOGUS but look at the placement of the GRAN SPORT emblem on the fender - not correct . There is some indication that a Dealer would mount the tach on top of the dash but I remove the ashtray and mount it in the face of the ashtray cover . I can send a pic. if you like.

Guest Gee_Rydes

No AC stamp on the data plate either. Not too many options listed on the data plate. You would think a person would volunteer the engine stamp and VIN stamp when making such a stink about it being "the real deal".

Tach location looks like a hack job to me. Dick's location is the location I prefer.

I'm a little suspicious about this one, but I am always suspicious these days of GS cars.

Guest Gee_Rydes

No AC stamp on the data plate either. Not too many options listed on the data plate. You would think a person would volunteer the engine stamp and VIN stamp when making such a stink about it being "the real deal".

Tach location looks like a hack job to me. Dick's location is the location I prefer.

I'm a little suspicious about this one, but I am always suspicious these days of GS cars.

Guest imported_kbm

The center a/c vent is gone! It has the two side ones and all the a/c equipment under the hood.

Kenneth

Guest imported_kbm

The center a/c vent is gone! It has the two side ones and all the a/c equipment under the hood.

Kenneth

I found a couple of other no-no's to add to the list. 1) There's no accelerator pedal, and 2) the OEM antenna is missing and has been replaced by an aftermarket unit. The aftermarket units cannot not be made to stand perpendicular on the side of a 63 - 65 Riv.

I notice that the firewall tag does NOT note that the car has A/C, only power vents and power windows. Maybe there was no center vent and the two outside ones have been added on. confused.gif

I found a couple of other no-no's to add to the list. 1) There's no accelerator pedal, and 2) the OEM antenna is missing and has been replaced by an aftermarket unit. The aftermarket units cannot not be made to stand perpendicular on the side of a 63 - 65 Riv.

I notice that the firewall tag does NOT note that the car has A/C, only power vents and power windows. Maybe there was no center vent and the two outside ones have been added on. confused.gif

thanks for the info fellas. like Gee Rydes, i too am still learning about rivs.i took a closer look at the pics and noticed allthe flaws you guys pointed out.i also noticed that the gas pedal and rear a/c bracket were missing.i was curious about this because i have a real buick tach but could not find anything in the buick manuals i have that show it being offered as a option so i dont know where it would mount.Gee Rydes mentioned the data plate not showing the a/c option stamp.is the data plate supposed to show every option the car came with?does adding options that are not stamped on the plate devalue the car? arnulfo 1965 riviera gran sport

thanks for the info fellas. like Gee Rydes, i too am still learning about rivs.i took a closer look at the pics and noticed allthe flaws you guys pointed out.i also noticed that the gas pedal and rear a/c bracket were missing.i was curious about this because i have a real buick tach but could not find anything in the buick manuals i have that show it being offered as a option so i dont know where it would mount.Gee Rydes mentioned the data plate not showing the a/c option stamp.is the data plate supposed to show every option the car came with?does adding options that are not stamped on the plate devalue the car? arnulfo 1965 riviera gran sport

Guest imported_kbm

Ok, one more. The fender 'Riviera' script is actually the script for the trunk. The fender script should have a gap in the R where the straight line meets the loop of the R.

Kenneth

Guest imported_kbm

Ok, one more. The fender 'Riviera' script is actually the script for the trunk. The fender script should have a gap in the R where the straight line meets the loop of the R.

Kenneth

The data plate only tells of modifications that Fisher Body needed to do to the main body to accept some options before the body went to the assembly line. Clips, screw holes, brackets, access holes, etc. Almost all of these are from the firewall back. The radio ( Code D) would probably be listed because holes or clips for the speaker wire were needed.

Horns, twilight sentinels, cornering lights, cruise controls, and the like only required a different harness, bolt on parts, and holes in things like dash boards that were not part of the main body. These were added / modified as the car moved down the assembly line.

Therefore you will not find all options listed on the data plate. Because so many options could also be dealer installed, there should be no penalty for many options that are not on the data plate.

The GS option is just that, an option. Nothing on the car, VIN or data plate tells if the car was truly a GS or if it's a clone. There are ways to tell, but they're picky, spring rates, perhaps a transmission code, little things like that. But, some of these things could be ordered on non- GS cars too; like the dual quad set up. Best thing to do is buy one with documentation.

If you're really interested, I'll show you a copy of my data plate from my '63 and you can compare it to the window sticker. I have 17 options listed on the window sticker and only 7 on the data plate or window sticker. My car also has a few dealer installed options that are not on the data plate or the window sticker.

By the way, the 3T on the data plate in the car being questioned is the movable rear arm rest.

Ed

The data plate only tells of modifications that Fisher Body needed to do to the main body to accept some options before the body went to the assembly line. Clips, screw holes, brackets, access holes, etc. Almost all of these are from the firewall back. The radio ( Code D) would probably be listed because holes or clips for the speaker wire were needed.

Horns, twilight sentinels, cornering lights, cruise controls, and the like only required a different harness, bolt on parts, and holes in things like dash boards that were not part of the main body. These were added / modified as the car moved down the assembly line.

Therefore you will not find all options listed on the data plate. Because so many options could also be dealer installed, there should be no penalty for many options that are not on the data plate.

The GS option is just that, an option. Nothing on the car, VIN or data plate tells if the car was truly a GS or if it's a clone. There are ways to tell, but they're picky, spring rates, perhaps a transmission code, little things like that. But, some of these things could be ordered on non- GS cars too; like the dual quad set up. Best thing to do is buy one with documentation.

If you're really interested, I'll show you a copy of my data plate from my '63 and you can compare it to the window sticker. I have 17 options listed on the window sticker and only 7 on the data plate or window sticker. My car also has a few dealer installed options that are not on the data plate or the window sticker.

By the way, the 3T on the data plate in the car being questioned is the movable rear arm rest.

Ed

Guest Gee_Rydes

Okay, my turn at bat again. Where is the mirrored (chrome) carpet protector that goes on the driver's side at the lower front of the console??

Guest Gee_Rydes

Okay, my turn at bat again. Where is the mirrored (chrome) carpet protector that goes on the driver's side at the lower front of the console??

Guest musclecarfan65

now something from good 'ol germany:

the radiator overfolw tube is missing; the second A/C compressor belt is missing (mine had one); the heater control valve is missing (or placed where i can not see it?); wrong gas filter for A/C equipped cars; carpeted trunk?; was the speed limit buzzer not standard so why is he mentioning this?. hopefully the possible buyer of this car reads this thread so that he does not make the same experience as i did with my (luckly already sold) riviera.

Guest musclecarfan65

now something from good 'ol germany:

the radiator overfolw tube is missing; the second A/C compressor belt is missing (mine had one); the heater control valve is missing (or placed where i can not see it?); wrong gas filter for A/C equipped cars; carpeted trunk?; was the speed limit buzzer not standard so why is he mentioning this?. hopefully the possible buyer of this car reads this thread so that he does not make the same experience as i did with my (luckly already sold) riviera.

There's a '63 on Ebay as well that has what looks like a radio delete plate installed in place of the radio. Weren't radios standard on these cars?

Off topic but one suggestion I have for this forum is to put two sticky threads up top that have to do with Ebay and Rivieras only. One just for cars and the other just for parts. Maybe it will help people out with their decisions or at least let them know what they're getting into.

There's a '63 on Ebay as well that has what looks like a radio delete plate installed in place of the radio. Weren't radios standard on these cars?

Off topic but one suggestion I have for this forum is to put two sticky threads up top that have to do with Ebay and Rivieras only. One just for cars and the other just for parts. Maybe it will help people out with their decisions or at least let them know what they're getting into.

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The radio ( Code D) would probably be listed because holes or clips for the speaker wire were needed. </div></div>

Well, a '63 is a unique animal since there was no front speaker. So the "D" was needed, no doubt, to document the speaker install for '63 for any radio. In later year cars, the rear speaker was an add-on option so it is displayed as its own code. So for '64 to '67s, if the car has a radio, it has no code on the Fisher body plate UNLESS the rear speaker had to be installed... then it got a 2R (easy to remember... R for radio speaker).

I agree most definitely that this car doesn't have factory air per the data plate. It must've been added (which explains missing rear bracket, missing belt on pulley, missing center vent, et al.)

On the comment about the fender script being a trunk script, I doubt that. They are different sizes / different hole patterns. Instead, the script is a fender script from a 1967 or mid/late 1966. The open style "R" fender script was used up through mid'66, then switched to closed "R" for the remainder of '66 and for '67s.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The radio ( Code D) would probably be listed because holes or clips for the speaker wire were needed. </div></div>

Well, a '63 is a unique animal since there was no front speaker. So the "D" was needed, no doubt, to document the speaker install for '63 for any radio. In later year cars, the rear speaker was an add-on option so it is displayed as its own code. So for '64 to '67s, if the car has a radio, it has no code on the Fisher body plate UNLESS the rear speaker had to be installed... then it got a 2R (easy to remember... R for radio speaker).

I agree most definitely that this car doesn't have factory air per the data plate. It must've been added (which explains missing rear bracket, missing belt on pulley, missing center vent, et al.)

On the comment about the fender script being a trunk script, I doubt that. They are different sizes / different hole patterns. Instead, the script is a fender script from a 1967 or mid/late 1966. The open style "R" fender script was used up through mid'66, then switched to closed "R" for the remainder of '66 and for '67s.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimtash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic but one suggestion I have for this forum is to put two sticky threads up top that have to do with Ebay and Rivieras only. One just for cars and the other just for parts. Maybe it will help people out with their decisions or at least let them know what they're getting into. </div></div>

Excellent idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riv2x4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pict of my 64 Riv with a correct, per shop manual, tach installation on the dash.

Larry </div></div>

Would the '63's have the tach mounted in the console right in front of the shifter handle?

This is another topic that needs to be discussed. Tachs for these cars are rediculously expensive and there are so many versions of them. I'd like to put one in my '63 but I'm hesitant making a purchase off of Ebay knowing that I might get one that doesn't work and can't be repaired. So for the time being I'm just going to wait and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent idea!</div></div>

Look for these cars to substancially start gaining in popularity and price in the next few years. I have no doubt about it. The more people seeking help who come here to the ROA forum and get it, the better off the ROA will be.