1965 Riv Aftermarket cruise control

Guest Mohogs

Guest Bronie

Hey Guys,

Just installed custom gauges in my 65 and my old cruise control wont work with these new gauges. I already knew this before I bought the gauges. Was wondering if anybody knows if there is an application out there for a cruise control system that I can put on the Riv?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

R.O.A. 11352

Guest Bronie

Hey Guys,

Just installed custom gauges in my 65 and my old cruise control wont work with these new gauges. I already knew this before I bought the gauges. Was wondering if anybody knows if there is an application out there for a cruise control system that I can put on the Riv?

John

R.O.A. 11352

Look in JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com

They have a unit I installed on my '63. I hope this link works. If not, you can search their site for "cruise control".

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000218322/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000218322/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000218322

It did not cost $200 when I bought it 2 years ago; it was much less. But it really works well. We used it going over to Flagstaff from Houston, and back, in 2006. They have other models and styles.

Look in JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com

They have a unit I installed on my '63. I hope this link works. If not, you can search their site for "cruise control".

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000218322/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000218322/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000218322

It did not cost $200 when I bought it 2 years ago; it was much less. But it really works well. We used it going over to Flagstaff from Houston, and back, in 2006. They have other models and styles.

Guest Bronie

Thanks Jim,

How was the installation process. Was it difficult with any special type of modifications. And where did you mount the actual unit, on the turn singal actuator?

Also, does it matter what type you buy, or are the mostly universal?

Anty info would be helpful, thanks.

John.

R.O.A. #11352

Guest Bronie

Thanks Jim,

How was the installation process. Was it difficult with any special type of modifications. And where did you mount the actual unit, on the turn singal actuator?

Also, does it matter what type you buy, or are the mostly universal?

Anty info would be helpful, thanks.

John.

R.O.A. #11352

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jim,

How was the installation process. Was it difficult with any special type of modifications. And where did you mount the actual unit, on the turn singal actuator?</div></div>

Well... I did not find it too difficult. But I had prior experience. Install on the '63 Riv was third time. I insisted on mo modifications.

The computer and the vacuum diaphragm (in a single can) mount under the hood. Wires come out of the can and go to various places around the car: Coil pickup at the drive shaft, up close to the transmission, for speed signal. Pick up power at fuse panel and brake light switch to sense when you step on brakes. Then the little black control switch piece mounts to the turn signal lever. I covered the wires out of the can with black plastic wire loom to hide them.

I think it took me 2 or 3 evenings to install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, does it matter what type you buy, or are the mostly universal?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

John.

R.O.A. #11352 </div></div>

I don't know. They are all probably similar. You get up to desired speed and press SET button. Engine vacuum pulls a cable to pull the throttle open to keep you there. Better units allow you to tap the SET and the COAST buttons to adjust your speed up or down by 1 mph per click.

Hardest part was mounting pick up coil at drive shaft and mounting the cable that pulls throttle securely to engine, so that it can pull against spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jim,

How was the installation process. Was it difficult with any special type of modifications. And where did you mount the actual unit, on the turn singal actuator?</div></div>

Well... I did not find it too difficult. But I had prior experience. Install on the '63 Riv was third time. I insisted on mo modifications.

The computer and the vacuum diaphragm (in a single can) mount under the hood. Wires come out of the can and go to various places around the car: Coil pickup at the drive shaft, up close to the transmission, for speed signal. Pick up power at fuse panel and brake light switch to sense when you step on brakes. Then the little black control switch piece mounts to the turn signal lever. I covered the wires out of the can with black plastic wire loom to hide them.

I think it took me 2 or 3 evenings to install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, does it matter what type you buy, or are the mostly universal?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

John.

R.O.A. #11352 </div></div>

I don't know. They are all probably similar. You get up to desired speed and press SET button. Engine vacuum pulls a cable to pull the throttle open to keep you there. Better units allow you to tap the SET and the COAST buttons to adjust your speed up or down by 1 mph per click.

Hardest part was mounting pick up coil at drive shaft and mounting the cable that pulls throttle securely to engine, so that it can pull against spring.

Guest musclecarfan65

this is not helpful but my experience is that the more parts you're going to put in a car the more items can brake.

Guest musclecarfan65

this is not helpful but my experience is that the more parts you're going to put in a car the more items can brake.

Guest Bronie

Thanks guys,

I think I will order that item today because i want to get it installed before the big meet in Galena. Jim, I will let u know if I have any questions for you.

Once again, thanks.

John

R.O.A. 11352

Guest Bronie

Thanks guys,

I think I will order that item today because i want to get it installed before the big meet in Galena. Jim, I will let u know if I have any questions for you.

Once again, thanks.

John

R.O.A. 11352

Guest Bronie

Im actually going to take it off some time in the next week to tell you the truth. Im not really sure if it works or not either. I never had it properly hooked up when i had the car because I never went on long trips. Looks to be in good shape but I don't know if it works.

How much are you willing to pay.

Send me an email and we can talk.

John

R.O.A. 11352