Brakes locking up on my 60 Electra

JoelsBuicks

Well I just ran a little test. First, I wanted to confirm that I could cause this condition without the car moving and I did. Second, I removed the vacuum hose from the booster and then tried to cause the condition and I couldn't under any circumstance, rolling or standing still. Probably a good indication that the booster is the culprit. One last test that I ran was to create the condition with booster activated and then disconnect the vacuum to see if the brakes released. Doing so didn't release the brakes which is consistent with the results I got earlier.

If it is the booster, why would the pedal return to normal upon bleeding the pressure off the line?

Sounds like I need to look at the booster. I will report back. Thank you very much.

Guest simplyconnected

I'm glad you found the culprit. Faulty brakes cannot be tolorated, and I'm glad you are doing the work yourself.

Sorry for the Ford Brake Booster picture, that's all I have. Two things can cause your symptoms, a bad spring (pushing the diaphram back), or a bad valve. The bad valve could be from sucking something nasty in from atmosphere, or it could be from old age.

You were trying to do the work of that spring when you pulled the pedal back. Hard, isn't it? An 8-inch booster with 20 inches of engine vacuum will provide about 240 lbs. of brake assist.

Check your vacuum line for brake fluid. - Dave Dare

Guest simplyconnected

Good suggestion, Jim Cannon. Fair price, too. I like the idea that you deal with the guy who actually does the work. He will tell you exactly what went wrong with the old unit.

Well how 'bout that? You guys stayed until we got this figured out. And then, you provided me with a contact that will do the work. Thanks so much for your help. I hope that someday I'll be able to return this favor.

Thanks again!

Guest simplyconnected

I just want to see another '60 Buick Electra on the road again. It reminds me of my innocent days. I haven't been innocent in a very long time. Congrat's, and enjoy!

I gotta tell you, I appreciate it when a restorer isn't afraid to 'find things out' about his car, by doing his own work. Too many restorers 'pay someone else to do it' and they never 'learn' their car.

For restorers like you, I am tickled to help. Truth be told, we all learn by your experience. Thanks for the updates. - Dave Dare

Guest brh

It's great to help and I agree to help someone whip a problem feels good. I wish this forum was around when I was trying to beat a couple of my cars problems. Those of us that work on our own cars know the feeling of beating a problem and at one time or another have had those pesky ones that seem to be simple yet won't give up. Happy motoring!!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoelsBuicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well how 'bout that? You guys stayed until we got this figured out. And then, you provided me with a contact that will do the work. Thanks so much for your help. I hope that someday I'll be able to return this favor.

Thanks again!

</div></div>

To me, that is a perk of the forum and BCA membership.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good suggestion, Jim Cannon. Fair price, too. I like the idea that you deal with the guy who actually does the work. He will tell you exactly what went wrong with the old unit. </div></div>

Yea, he really knows his stuff. Pretty quick turn around, too.

Tell him I said "hi".