36 buick restoration--paint underneath fenders, etc.

rlcokc

Restoring 36 Buick model 41 and getting ready to paint underneath of all sheet metal. Exterior Ballue Brown--original color. Intend to paint entire body original exterior color--question is what is painted black on underneath side? Thanks in advance for help.

Also need suggestions on paint for underneath--brand and type. Thanks again

Rod

Restoring 36 Buick model 41 and getting ready to paint underneath of all sheet metal. Exterior Ballue Brown--original color. Intend to paint entire body original exterior color--question is what is painted black on underneath side? Thanks in advance for help.

Also need suggestions on paint for underneath--brand and type. Thanks again

Rod

I am not sure about later series cars, but I believe early 30s Buicks should have black underside of fenders. Having said that, I have seen a number of cars painted the color of the body and that seems ok also to judges, if judging is your concern.

John

Judging not as much concern as just wanting to be original. It would easier to simply paint all one color and no more than I would drive not too worried about chipping paint. I guess since I've taken it down to frame I just want to do it right and to me that's like from factory. Thanks for your response.

Rod

On my 1936 Special the entire body was painted the same color and the wheel wells and a spot on the side of the cowl were "blacked out". It really looks like someone just took a sponge or brush and dabbed black paint over the body color.

I have sort of the same question. My 36 Roadmaster was originally black and I am going back with the Francis Cream yellow color. Now, I can't distinguish what was black because of the color of the car from what was black on the underneath areas of all cars.

Thanks,