Newsworthy Topic..Door panel push fasteners / retainers :)

Roadster90

Appears many dismantlers are taking advangage of the push pin retainers on ebay....getting up to $5.00 a piece at times shocked.gif. I have mentioned it before, but since I didn't have any pertinent data like numbers or manufacturers name, no one seemed to notice.

OK....at Lowes (handyman - building supplies) located generally in the middle of the store or near the hardware area/s, Lowes has a big section of pull-out drawers with various pins, clips and other small speciality items.... SUCH AS GM PUSH FASTENERS smile.gif. The pins/fasteners are package 2 in a plastic bag, and cost a whopping $0.81. Pertinent data follows:

Manufacturer....Hillman

UPC.... 0 08236 7 1594 1

Hillman Part #....H#881203

Nominclature/description.... "HILLMAN GM PUSH FASTENERS VARIABLE DEPTH"

AND......

"MADE in USA" (most important part)

Hope this helps and saves members lots of $$$$$$$$

smile.gif

Guest C.F.Massie

Thanks for the additional info Nic. I remember you telling all of us before about Lowe's carrying these fasteners so I checked with the one in my area but they were out of them. Maybe the GM dealerships are now buying up the ones at Lowe's seeing they are that inexpensive. The dealerships can make a handsome profit reselling them.

What I have learned is that when you are out at the u-pick yard buying something of value,look at other GM cars for stuff like this. They usually focus on the part they want to charge you for and throw in the oddball stuff. My buddy bought a V/W transmission and I got a T-handle lug wrench, door mirror clips,door selenoid, and a short wiring harness all for free.

DO NOT TRY PUTTING THEM IN YOUR POCKET AND WALKING THRU!

ALWAYS SHOW WHAT YOU GOT!

That same yard while we were there stopped a guy. He told the guy it was a $280.00 fine. Makes for a pretty expensive part!

Funny this thread popped up, as I was just thinking that I still have a whole bunch of these door push fasteners and the receptacles they go into. I bought a box each when I replaced my front speakers. I paid $20 for 50 of the Car-Pak Pins (85-5990), and $15.00 for 50 of Car-Pak receptacles (88-6436). I used a hand full of the pins, and none of the receptacles.

Anyone maybe want to trade for some cassette decks or parts?

Guest Mc_Reatta

I've checked the drawer in Lowes on every visit now for months, and there never are any of the long ones in stock. Sign me up for the conspiracy theory. :-)

Guest Mc_Reatta

I've checked the drawer in Lowes on every visit now for months, and there never are any of the long ones in stock. Sign me up for the conspiracy theory. :-)

I bought the last package of two at my Lowes the other day, talked to the manager who said he would try to order more (supposed to be automatic ordering dependent upon sales). Anyway, we have a manufacturers name and part number now also....ring any bells of those whe need them?

---------------------------------------------------------- Since 1964, Hillman has provided a quality line of fasteners including nuts, bolts, screws, and washers. Today, nothing has changed. We offer the most in depth selection of fasteners on the market. You'll also find a wide variety of merchandising, packaging, and buying options to better serve your customers' ever-increasing needs.

Both popular and hard-to-find specialty items.

Space Saver displays.

Complete displays.

Color-coded packaging.

Informative inserts for successful projects.

Several buying options like blister packs, re-closeable boxes, bulk bins

info@hillmangroup.com

1-800-800-4900

I bought the last package of two at my Lowes the other day, talked to the manager who said he would try to order more (supposed to be automatic ordering dependent upon sales). Anyway, we have a manufacturers name and part number now also....ring any bells of those whe need them?

---------------------------------------------------------- Since 1964, Hillman has provided a quality line of fasteners including nuts, bolts, screws, and washers. Today, nothing has changed. We offer the most in depth selection of fasteners on the market. You'll also find a wide variety of merchandising, packaging, and buying options to better serve your customers' ever-increasing needs.

Both popular and hard-to-find specialty items.

Space Saver displays.

Complete displays.

Color-coded packaging.

Informative inserts for successful projects.

Several buying options like blister packs, re-closeable boxes, bulk bins

info@hillmangroup.com

1-800-800-4900

Guest neroco2

I just bought a package of 10 from NAPA yesterday for $5.33.

The part number is 665-3234.

I had to trim the head a bit but they were the correct length and fit well.

Make friends with the local NAPA folks and they will treat you well.

neroco

Guest neroco2

I just bought a package of 10 from NAPA yesterday for $5.33.

The part number is 665-3234.

I had to trim the head a bit but they were the correct length and fit well.

Make friends with the local NAPA folks and they will treat you well.

neroco

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else found that their black plastic retainers (that are glued to the door panel) were broken, here's one way of fixing them that worked well for me. Instead of trying to use glue (which doesn't always work well with plastics) I drilled 4 small holes in each corner of what was left of the retainers, and wound some small wire back and forth and around the base of the push fastener (Pin). It held the fastener surprisingly tight. I attached a photo. The yellow part is the fastener, the gray is what's left of the black plastic retainer, and the wire is black.

post-50795-143137978575_thumb.jpg

Guest campolojr

I can tell you how to hook it up but I cannot tell you how to make it pretty and fit in that small square opening. I never measured a double din but I believe there a little took big.

If it fits into the space vacated by the cassette player I can make it "pretty"; it's prospect of hooking it up that scares the living daylights out of me. Nothing sophisticated, I just need a single/simple CD/mp3 player to pacify DW. (Is that what's meant by "single din"?)

Although I will likely be interested in a CD/MP3 player hook-up (if/when my cassette repair attempt fails); how did we get onto this topic?

I'm sure people would like to see a new post on this topic (especially for '88-'89's) with clear instructions/suggestions on replacing their cassette decks, pics, etc.

Guest campolojr

Alright well to whom this may concern. I will be writing a tutorial on how I would go about doing it along with photos. Alls I ask is for a little time I have been very busy (Randy knows again sorry Randy I will be out sometime just been tight since x-mas save my parts for me grin.gif ) working on the car, working, cleaning and roofing my house very soon. I will try to get it done within the next couple weeks. Although I cannot promise. But you never know I might get a rainy day in the garage so it could be real soon.

A single din is car_photo_209617_7.jpg And a double din is this VTdash.jpg

I figured that the double din would have less width to it but they look the same. How good does a cd player fit in the cassette bay I would imagine it being to wide. I do not have one I could test fit with. I can search for dimensions though.