Back hatches and lumbar support

Peggie

Hi Everyone,

My first post...

I allowed my son to use my reatta for a weekend trip...

1) Now I could no longer get EITHER of the hatches to open. It feels like the latches are broken, like they were locked and tried to be forced open. Is there anyway to get these open without using a crowbar?

2) The lumbar support in the drivers seat inflates but deflates with any pressure. Anyone have any experience with this?

If you can help I would appreciate it.

Peggie

Can't help you with the latches without being there.

The lumbar bladder is notorious for failing. Typically the material degenerates at the point where the air line connects to the bag. If you use the search function on this site (keywords "bladder" or "lumbar") you will find a wealth of info regarding the subject. Here’s a link to one.

There are many more posts on the subject. Just dive right in.

Also... welcome to the board.

As to the latches, both the glove box and rear floor compartment latches are the same. I'm sorry to say these items can no longer be purchased new, but our good Reatta friend, Jim Finn, my have some useable old ones. The problem with these latch assemblies are they are made of plastic. When they get old, they get brittle. A while back I posted a way to get the glove box open. Since the latches are the same for the rear latches too, I'm going to copy my response from about a year ago. I hope it helps.

<span style="color: #3366FF">I had that happen to mine one time. I was able to open the box door without damage. You will need a flashlight to see under the latch handle and a very small screwdriver. The kind you fix eye glasses. It helps if you recline the passenger seat and move it forward so you can rest your back on the seat while getting close to the glove box lock. Pull the handle out, don't worry about breaking it because it already is, till you see a little silver cylinder. With the screwdriver, try to rotate the cylinder toward the dash. You might "play" with that several minutes before you "hit" it just right. If you were as lucky as I was, the door will just pop open. The handle is toast and will have to be replaced. The problem, these latches should never have been made of plastic. They were pretty easy to break when they were new. Now, more that a decade old, they bite the dust very easily. I was lucky to find some new ones a few years ago. Jim Finn maybe able to help you with some used handles. Hope this helps and good luck.

</span>

The latches are very common to other G M glove boxes of the era. I have extra that I pulled from a u-pick yard. The problem is the colors don't match. I have purchased a matching vinyl spray from SEM.I have yet to break one of my original ones, so I havn't had to spray one yet. I didn't think that was something Jim had.

<span style="color: #000099"> <span style="font-family: 'Lucida Console'">Thank You for your help.

Using your technique, I was able to open both hatches and found only one is broken.

I will pursue getting a replacement.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"> </span> YOU GUYS ROCK!

Peggie</span></span>

<span style="color: #000099"> <span style="font-family: 'Lucida Console'">Thank You for your help.

Using your technique, I was able to open both hatches and found only one is broken.

I will pursue getting a replacement.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"> </span> YOU GUYS ROCK!

Peggie</span></span>