1956 Packard Clipper Hot Rod

Guest AlK

Well the car is now in the hands of the body shop. We have discussed all of the particulars and everyone seems to be on the same page. Time will tell. I have gotten the paint code for the Jamaican Yellow, but the Corsican Black seems to be a bit elusive, so I am going to go with what the paint shop calls the deepest black they have. I am think of the Rolling Stones tune "Black is Black".......... the chrome goes to the chrome shop by the middle of the month.

Then I have to order the upholstery material. I have got a funny feeling things are going to start to move soon. I will save a bit of money on the interior as the seats only need a bit of minor surgery and I have a brand new boxed carpet set for a Patrician which will do nicely as I believe the floor pans are roughly the same. I will keep you all posted on progress.

Well funny you should mention that. I have the complete unit, well almost. I have the rear blower unit, the plastic cones on the package shelf, and the compressor(NOS). I don't have the engine mounting brackett, the condensor, or the dryer. That last two items I can most likely use after market units, but the engine mounting brackett has got to come from a 55 Packard that had A/C. Witht the exception of the compressor I have the other stuff mounted in my 55 Patrician. Most likely for the "CLIPPERROD" I will go with an after market A/C unit from one of the rod shops.

I don't have a Packard anymore - or yet - but I'm seriously thinking of finding an AC unit with those cool shelf diffusers just to have around.

The modern Compressors use WAY less HP to spin - translate that to mean Gasoline - puts out a better charge and are easier to maintain.

Get the biggest condenser out of a late model big interior car - they make great Transmission coolers too by brazing on some Earl's Fittings ends - and UltraMatics love a cool drink.

That is a great idea, when the time comes I will have to look into that.

BTW how come no Packard?? what are you waiting for??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vintageride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was an article in the 1970s or 1980s in the Packard Automobile Classics (PAC) or Packards International (PI) magazine. The article was called something like "Beware! This Packard!" It was about a black 1956 Packard Clipper Two Door Hardtop that was fitted with a Dual Four Barrel set up like your car. It may have been a 374 too. The article was pretty specific about the modifications to the car.

I wonder if it was about your car.

Peter Tacy </div></div>

Well got some more info on the article. It was reprinted in the Autumn 1999 issue of the CNB. I have found out the guys name and will be calling him tonight to discuss HotRod Packards. Will let all of you know what I find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 55PackardGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AlK,

"Paint it Black"

"I see a red [car] door and I want it painted black."

Clipperod, I love it.

Much better than Clipexecar. </div></div>

I agree. I have also figured out a way to make a script for it for the front fenders. I will need 4 "CLIPPER" scripts, 2 that are great and 2 that are garbage, and 2 "DODGE" scripts. I will take the 'R' from each of the 2 garbage pieces and the "OD" from the dodge scripts and epoxy the whole thing together. Will probably use silver paint because trying to chrome these would destroy the epoxy. but what the hey, it would still say "CLIPPERROD". If I get lucky I might even try to hyphenate it as "CLIPPER-ROD".

AlK,

No hyphen. More mysterious that way. You could also "paint it black" for the lettering. Blackout badges have been popular and look cool. Subtle. Just need to make sure there's a good contrast between the badge black and the body paint, texture, shade, etc. Stealth all the way. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as you don't make it RODCLIPPER which would make guys cringe. </div></div>

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH Groan, moan and wretch. That is bad... God will get you for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOGLE : 'pot metal casting'

This was a popular DIY item back in the 50's.

Once your script is sorted out - take a mold of it

& do a pour.

You could craft up Scripting for the interior as well as exterior - causing a Stir at the next PACKARD meet -- ".. might be an undiscovered new option prototype.."

• 2 weeks later...

I love those Execs.

My first Packard I'd seen as a kid was a two tone coupe

White with Black going the other way - asked Dad.. "What's That ..?" .. glanced in rear view mirrio .. "That's a Packard".. "..Wow.." .. "?" .

A year later I spotted it behind a gas station - no plates.

Dad bought it for me for $175.00 - trans. was slipping .

Parked it in the driveway - I painted the engine a fresh Green.

I was 12 .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well progress is being made and some disappointment involved. I was able to locate the engine casting number on the back of the engine and have discovered much to my dismay that it is a 352 and not a 374. MAJOR BUMMER.

I could put the 374 spare engine that I have, but do not know what kind of shape it is in. My 352 is up and running, I think this decision is a no brainer.

I have cleaned up the floor and have rust proofed it. I have installed an electric fuel pump which I will use for the time being until I decide if it will be permanent. I have also installed an electric switch to manually operate the T/L system. Next I plan on laying out the carpet. I am still waiting on the Jamaica Yellow vinyl to be doen and shipped so I can get the interior done. Being unemployed/retired does have its advantages.

• 1 month later...

Well always a little glitch here and there. When I took the upper grille off, I determined that it was suitable for my purpose and did not need to be rechromed. However during transport, position shifting and/or dealing with evil chevy spirits, one of the support brackets broke. I looked to see if first I had a good grille in the parts stash that was as good and found nothing. I resigned myself to finding a good chromed grille. After thinking about it I got my stubborn gene into high gear and determined that Murphy was NOT going to win this one. I had both pieces and looked it over and figured out a way to make a sandwich bracket. So off to the custom metal shop that I have been doing business with for about 25 years and showed him the problem. 3 days later problem resolved. Pictures show how. He somehow managed to weld, solder or something the pieces together. I did not think you could do that to pot metal. The other picture shows the line-up for the install. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I will start the process. I have all brand new bolts for the bumpers, grille, and chrome. The vinyl is supposed to be coming before Christmas and hopefully I can get the upholsterer going on that . To make this come true and get ready for Gettysburg, I really need to find a job. Have a couple of prospects but nothing firm as of yet. In the mean time I have to sort thru all of the chrome I have, both what came off of the car and what I have in the stash to come up with good pieces and the mounting clips. So for the time being sorting, picking, polishing do not cost money only labor and I have a next door neighbor that helps me out.

post-31507-143138146612_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138146615_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138146618_thumb.jpg

post-31507-14313814662_thumb.jpg

Not a tiger stripe but a copperhead which is the name of the car and it is a 64 Dodge Dart Gt convertible, with lots of interesting add ons including a 51 Packard grille.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the rear end of the car with just about everything on it. I don't the right Circle V yet. I can't find it. The ones I do have are the ones from the front grille and they are to small. The right one was on the car I just can't seem to find it.

post-31507-143138151122_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138151124_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlK
to attach pictures (see edit history)

Well Al, I think you're keeping pretty busy during you work lull. The "V" on the trunk without the circle looks nice and clean. You might even want to consider driving it that way for a while.

Sorry to hear about the 374, but then this car-- whether Clipper or Exec--would've had a 352, and with the lower weight it has plenty of oomph (not to mention your dual-carb "option."

Wondering if the VIN on the engine matches the door pillar? If it does, that's a plus anyway. The engine number is, I believe, next to the dipstick tube.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can tell the '55 from the '56 dual carbs by looking at the primary an secondary barrels. '55 has same-size and '56 big 'n' little. This again, is hearsay.

Yeah that is one benefit to being semi-retired. However the money tree is drying up and not blooming so I have to find a job soon. I've now ot the front end almost done, just the front bumper needs to go on, but it is too bloody cold out there to be laying on concrete. However it should warm up by next week or so. All of the upholstery material has come so my upholsterer can get started. So Gettysburg is in site and hopefully all will work out.

• 1 month later...

Well the front bumper is now finally on. And the car is now beginning to look like a car. A few misc pieces of chrome and some odds and ends and then it goes in for upholstery.

post-31507-14313818104_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

"GLOOM DISPAIR AND AGONY ON ME, DEEP DARK DREPRESSION, EXCESSIVE MISERY, IF IT WERN'T FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL, GLOOM DISPAIR AND AGONY ON MEEE.."

My upholstery guy has been laid low by some persistant heart related issues that he will not get the lowdown on until Monday. I am preparing to pull my stuff and go to another guy. This guy may not want to do the work since I went to the other guy from him years ago. But I cannot be in this same situation by the end of May that I am in now.

I need the month of June to finish up the car to be ready for Gettysburg. Of course I feel real bad about my upholstery guy but..........:confused::confused::mad::mad::(:(

• 4 weeks later...

Well the scat has hit the fan. :(:mad::mad::mad::mad: I have got the car back to the original upholsterer and he will be able to do the car, but it is doubtful if he can finish it in time. It's a moot point because after looking at the finances I will be unable to go myself unless some money pixie lands on my shoulder.

In any event I have some progress photos, so here you go.

post-31507-143138221958_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138221961_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138221963_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138221965_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi AIK, i didn't see anyone answering your question about the wheelcover clips, your's look exactly like what oldsmobile started using in 1957 for the spinner hubcaps. please check out fusick.com, download catalog 530 ?, and look for the clips there, they are brand new reproduction parts, very cool packard you have there. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

• 7 months later...

Pontiac1953:

The posts on the wheelcover clips were not mine. The thread got hi-jacked a bit with that, but thats o.k. Car is still at the upholsterers and not much being done.

Alk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well this should be the last interior shots. Before the car comes home I've got to figure out how to pay for it. Now this should not be to difficult for you guys, but see if you can pinpoint the one small addition that I added and tell me what you think about it(be nice)

post-31507-143138563869_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138563871_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138563874_thumb.jpg

post-31507-143138563875_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlK
correct verbiage (see edit history)