1947 Chrysler Windsor

Jim - Business coupes are very rare. The New Yorker being the rarest of all. I have a 1947 Windsor Club Coupe (i.e. I have a back seat) and there were only 27,000 Windsor Club Coupes made from '46 - '48. You might want to check out the yahoo group link below. You can search the messages for business coupe to get some more detailed info.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/46-48Chryslers/

Jim - Business coupes are very rare. The New Yorker being the rarest of all. I have a 1947 Windsor Club Coupe (i.e. I have a back seat) and there were only 27,000 Windsor Club Coupes made from '46 - '48. You might want to check out the yahoo group link below. You can search the messages for business coupe to get some more detailed info.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/46-48Chryslers/

Jim - I am currently looking at a 48 Chrysler New Yorker Business Coupe (3 window, 1 seat). The information I received came from the Standard Catalog of Chrysler and the Standard Catalog of American Cars. Anyway there were 699 New Yorkers from 46-48. Probably has the same info for Windsors.

Richard

Jim - I am currently looking at a 48 Chrysler New Yorker Business Coupe (3 window, 1 seat). The information I received came from the Standard Catalog of Chrysler and the Standard Catalog of American Cars. Anyway there were 699 New Yorkers from 46-48. Probably has the same info for Windsors.

Richard

Guest elmo39

Jim ther were 1,980 windsor business coupes built , they were actually built between 1946 to 1948 , a 4door windsor from 46-48 grill and fender trim will fit.

Guest elmo39

Jim ther were 1,980 windsor business coupes built , they were actually built between 1946 to 1948 , a 4door windsor from 46-48 grill and fender trim will fit.

Jim - Yes any competent engine builder can rebuild the engine (i.e. 251 cubic inch flat head six). All bearings, pistons, connecting rods etc. are available for purchase from several antique parts vendors. If you have the space and time the rebuild is not insanely difficult and is certainly in the skill level of a shade tree mechanic. Also, I'd reccomend purchasing a shop manual (these are available in reprint) as it will become your best freind if you do get the car.

Jim - Yes any competent engine builder can rebuild the engine (i.e. 251 cubic inch flat head six). All bearings, pistons, connecting rods etc. are available for purchase from several antique parts vendors. If you have the space and time the rebuild is not insanely difficult and is certainly in the skill level of a shade tree mechanic. Also, I'd reccomend purchasing a shop manual (these are available in reprint) as it will become your best freind if you do get the car.

Again ,thanks guys. As of right now I don't have any pictures of it,but will post some when I do. I do have access to a '47 4-door with heavy side and rear body and frame damage.As far as the engine goes, I have rebuilt several Harley Davidson engines and a few car engines, so I guess it's all about the farming out of the machine work. There seems to be quite a few old mid 40's Chryslers around my area come to find out.We have a large farming community just down the road a little. A lot of older vehicles just sitting out behind buildings. Thanks again

Again ,thanks guys. As of right now I don't have any pictures of it,but will post some when I do. I do have access to a '47 4-door with heavy side and rear body and frame damage.As far as the engine goes, I have rebuilt several Harley Davidson engines and a few car engines, so I guess it's all about the farming out of the machine work. There seems to be quite a few old mid 40's Chryslers around my area come to find out.We have a large farming community just down the road a little. A lot of older vehicles just sitting out behind buildings. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

The engine is very simple and easy to rebuild. They used the same engine by the millions in cars, trucks, boats, tractors, farm machinery, military vehicles and as stationary engines. They were made from 1937 up to 1972 and many are still in service.

I am rebuilding a later 265 cu in industrial engine for my 1951 DeSoto. I just bought a set of 6 pistons original replacement parts made by Chrysler, with wrist pins and Perfect Circle piston rings for only $59 on Ebay. They were marked as military spares, made in November 1959.

Parts are not hard to get. Any engine rebuilder can get them from his usual supplier and so can a hip auto parts store. Look for a NAPA store or independent store with an old gray haired or bald headed parts man. The chain stores with pimple faced kids behind the counter are useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Rusty, I like your comment about the "pimple-faced kid behind the counter in the chainstore" If you push the kid and just don't accept his statement that since it's not popping up on his computer screen so 'they don't have the part'. You can make him bring out the book and do your own looking. I trade at an O'Rielly's in Oklahoma City, and I don't trust their computer and make him bring out the manufacturer's catalogues and then find what I want.

Guest CutNChop

Some very detailed engine rebuilding info here. This refers to the smaller 23 inch block but the general info will help alot.

Click on the "Engine" page at the following site:

Blueskies 50 Plymouth Page

Petesheadersinstalled2_edited.jpg

A real work of art...by Pete (Blueskies)

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I am Andrés from Ecuador, i have a question about of a Chrysler, Windsor of 1947.

where i can see a serial number of motor and serial number of chasis in a car of this type?

please i need this information, if you can sendme pictures or documentation.

for you help tank, i wait for the response.

Andres.

andresthc@gmail.com

If you need i can send many pictures of this vehicle.

Engine number is stamped on the block, at the front, on the left side of the engine. It is right below the head, between cylinder #1 and #2.

Engine number should be C38XXXXX with C38 being the model and the Xs representing the serial number.

Body number is on the left front door pillar. It should start with C38W... W indicates Windsor.

• 4 months later...
Guest Henrywald

Rusty, I have a 1948 Chrysler Coupe Convetible. The serial number on the engine begins with C-38 as you say above, however the serial number on the door post does not. It is 70687196. Do I ahve a problem here? Henrywald

Guest Plymouthy

whatever you do..don't look at the body number on the firewall tag..it will only send you further into shock...

you have

engine number (stamped on engine boss above generator)

body number (firewall)

production number (A-post)

also you will find the engine number stamped on the left frame rail just before the rear axle arch...do not confuse this number with the frame number that denotes body style...it is a bit further up along the arch...this is actually a frame rail number

it is not uncommn to find the car registered by either of the numbers..whereas the body number would be less likely.

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henrywald</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rusty, I have a 1948 Chrysler Coupe Convetible. The serial number on the engine begins with C-38 as you say above, however the serial number on the door post does not. It is 70687196. Do I ahve a problem here? Henrywald </div></div>

The serial number, located on the left front door hinge pillar, should not start with C38 - only the engine number and the model number do.

Serial numbers for 1948 Chrysler Windsors built at the Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit started at 70633017 and ended at 70702447.

So your car`s serial number 70687196 is correct for a 1948 model.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 1 year later...
Guest jones2

Hi! I have a 47 chrysler windsor 3 window business coupe and when I was buying it I had found an ad for one in washington state. The guy said it was one of 5 known to exist. I emailed him and he said that he had checked 3 or 4 years earlier and only 5 were registered in the United States. Since then I lost his email info and I would like to find out how to get this info and documentation. Thanks Bob

• 1 year later...

My car has braided cord pulls hanging from above back doors and a long one on the back seat, I saw one for sale on Internet and it didn't look any different than mine and it was listed as a limo. Mine isn't long I don't think, but wasn't sure. Everything is original and works, the only thing bad is the antenna is broke or missing on top, thanks for responding

i asked three days ago if anyone knew the difference between a limo and a regular four door windsor, thanks for the help

There is a lot of difference. The body is completely different for a start. It is longer of course, and it is even wider. 6"wider and 13" longer wheelbase.

The chassis is completely different with heavy duty suspension, brakes, 6" wider full floating rear axle, and even a larger bolt pattern on the wheels.

You should be able to see the difference at a glance.

Do all 47 wu dales have those braided cord handles on back of seat going all the way across and hanging above door on each side ? Thanks

I believe they all had those robe rails and grab handles.