Rear Lense

Guest Dolores

Guest Dolores

Hi Guys<P>I'm looking for a new rear lense. Any ideas on where to get one? It looks like gmpartsdirect no longer has it.

Guest EDBS0

Dolores there are many parts cars around that you can find if you do a search. <P>My rear lense fogs up, don't know if this your problem or if it is completely broken. <P>In any event if it is only cosmetic and basically intact I would like the old one to take apart and study the construction to see where the leaks are and perhaps to discover a fix. Any other rear lenses around available for tinkering?<P>Thanks, Robert

Guest Greg Ross

Hi Folks,<BR>Replaced my Lens a year ago, at that time there were only about 10 left in the GM Inventory system.<BR>Call a GM Dealer and ask for the "Vintage Parts Phone #;<BR>Part # is 16507512<BR>Try a call to them, supposedly when a minimum inventory level is reached those parts are turned over to them.<BR>Robert, your best bet if you're up to a nasty chore is to dismantle the whole assembly. Consists of 3 layers;<BR>Outer clear Lens,<BR>Intermediate Red Lens, and<BR>the Inner Housing.<BR>It's fastened with a number of Spring Clips, moulded latches and GOOP!.<BR>Study it closely before you start prying things apart. In my case the intermediate Red lens parted from the Inner Backing first.<BR>Once it was totally apart I cleaned all the inner surfaces and then started the rebonding step.<BR>If you're reusing the existing clear lens it's more a matter of a cleaning exercise. Get the Bond material from GM (comes in a calking tube) just try not to get too messy.<BR>All the weather tight seams are in grooves so you've got to put in enough sealant to be sure you're sealed, but not too much!<BR>I still have a minor amount of moisture in mine since the reassembly, I've had it out and tried to Pressure test it to locate leaks but didn't find any. There are two completly separate seal boundaries between the three layers and once it's assembled you cannot see much of anything.<BR>I may yet purge it with an inert gas to try and overcome the misting that always occurs towards both ends after washing the car.<BR>Annoying part is the old one although totally clouded with age never misted or fogged up?<BR>As far as the drying/ curing stage I'm betwyxt and between, When reassembled it's still somewhat flexible so whether it should be installed immediately back on the car to cure in that shape or,<BR>let it dry 24 hours and then install???<BR>If you're going to tackle this be sure to have some semi-skilled help on hand, you'll scratch up the car trying to remove or reinstall by yourself.<BR>Good luck on all accounts.<BR>Greg wink.gif" border="0

The lenses do get cloudy as someone mentioned but they are easily polished to like new condition with some polishes or I have had very good results using the same buffing compound as I use on the cars paint. It is much easier to polish it on the car than replacing it. If your lens is cracked or broken that is another case. It is very hard to find perfect lenses as most of the time there may be some very small stress cracks in the outer clear lens and also the black portion under the trunk lid gets nicked from people putting things in the trunk. The lenses are a 3 piece but the factory used a pretty good sealer and it quite difficult to take them apart to just replace the outer clear lens. I have 14 Reatta parts cars and have complete taillight assemblies with clear outer lenses.<BR>I can be reached an jfinn@computerpro.com

Guest Dolores

Thank you for the replies. It looks like I'll ask the paint and body shop to buff it out. By the way, the GM dealers I called here in West Palm Beach have no idea of a vintage parts phone #. If anyone has it, please list it online. Thanks again.

Guest Greg Ross

Above quoted PN is off my 2001 Invoice, yes have spoken to them and didn't strike me as being particularly helpful.