Opinions on moulding color

KDirk

Ok,

Not that I am in any great hurry on this, because it would be something I would tackle during a repaint, probably at least a year off. Anyway, here is the big question:

White over Flame Red 1991 coupe with pin-stripe, should I leave the body side moldings black or paint them white to match the body? The black moldings don't really bother me, but I find myself partial to the body color moldings I've seen on other cars here on the forum and elsewhere.

Bear in mind that all the moldings are in acceptable condition for now, but could easily use a chip filling/sanding & repaint to look 100%. It looks to me like the front bumper molding has already been repainted in original black, but there is evidence of improper prep work (swirl marks under the paint) and some nicks in the paint.

I guess I'm just curious how other longtime Reatta owners feel, based on subjective preference. Obviously to go from black to white will probably mean more work in prepping for repaint, but that doesn't bother me.

Anyway, have at it; I'd like to know what others here prefer and whether or not I am crazy to consider this.

KDirk

KDirk,

I have never liked the black body moldings. I think the moldings that match the body color, make the Reatta look sharper.

That's just my thoughts............

How good the repainting will turn out, may be something else.

JET843

I feel that the molding strip on the side of the car affects how your eye perceives the car. To me a contrasting stripe (black) carries the eye down the side of the car making the aspect ratio of the car seem longer and lower than a car that has a matching molding color. Long pin stripes that have a color that stands out has the same effect for me.

I like the black molding on the Reatta to make it look longer and lower slung but I like cars like a '69 Camaro better with no contrasting moldings or stripes to give it a shorter (and taller) muscle car look.

Just my opinion. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Well there you have it, guess that is why they put black on some and matching on others. I like the matching best, I think it looks better on my Maui Blue but I also think I would stay with the original as indicated by the codes that came with the car. The same with wheels, I love the chrome 16"s and 18" but just can't make myself stray from those factory ones. Maybe I'll get over that one of those days and get new wheels. There you go.

Thanks all (so far) for the response. As I said, I prefer the body color moldings, though the black doesn't really bother me. Ronnie's comment about changing the perception of length/height of the car with matched vs. black is interesting. I hadn't noticed this, will have to look more closely at a car with matched moldings.

I do have (and plan to keep) the factory pin-stripes in red, so the car will not be 100% monotone with no contrasting trim element if I decide to do the moldings in white.

inthespot- I agree with you on the wheels. While I prefer chrome because they hold up better over time than a painted finish, the 16" stock rims on the 91 look really good for some reason. Even the 15" stock 5 spokes on the earlier years are pretty decent looking wheels IMO. I plan to refinish my existing rims, or buy professionally refinished ones later this spring or summer.

Overall, my inclination is to keep the car stock (except the radio, only thing I've changed from original configuration so far) so I understand the mentality that says "don't mess with it". Thing is, since I expect to do a full repaint I need to make a decision on what to do with the moldings since they also need repainting based on their current condition.

One other thing, does anyone think the black moldings make the car look a bit more dated? It just seems to me like the black moldings are more of an 80's style look, while the body color moldings make it look more contemporary.

KDirk

I'm kind of the opinion that the black moldings on the Reatta started the trend for future Buicks. Look at a later LeSabre for example. Not saying I like it. I saw John's new red Reatta in Sarasota, and the matching moldings were really nice. Despite what was going on there, he got a real winner. It's kind of up to the buyer. I found and liked a white one, but wouldn't change the black moldings for fear of chipping, which is what they are supposed to stop.

Tom T

Craig, Tom-

The moldings are painted regardless of whether they came from the factory black or body color. That is to say, they are just thermoset molded plastic (ABS) with no finish until they were painted on color or another.

The raw, pre-paint look is black in color, but is a matte sheen like any other ABS plastic body panel or trim piece before a finish is applied. Thus, standard automotive plastic finishing practices apply.

Since mine are showing their age, I plan to have them refinished. I posted this thread to try and gauge the consensus opinion of other Reatta owners to see if black or body color is preferred. So far, it looks like body color has the nod. I tend to agree with that, but am still undecided.

One consideration of mine is that it would be less work to do them in body color during a full repaint, since I would have all the other plastics to paint (bumper fillers, etc) so I could have one batch of paint mixed and shot on all plastics. If I do black, it is a separate paint job so more work.

KDirk

When I went to repaint mine I looked at other cars for what the current trend is. I saw a lot more cars with the moulding being the same color as the color of the car. It keeps our cars color current. I think the Reatta is styling current. Of course my cars moulding was the same color as the car.