1991 Chrysler TC by Maserati For Sale

I am a dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee who has traded for a TC. It appears to be in very good shape with low mileage and it drives well. I listed it on eBay today and in researching the TC, I came across this forum. I think you will find the asking price reasonable for what the vehicle is.

I have pasted the description below. If there are any inaccuracies it is by accident and not by intent. Please contact me if I have made an errors in the description.

Thanks, Mark Bledsoe

mbledsoe@toyotaknoxville.com

You are looking at the nicest Chrysler TC by Maserati to be found anywhere on the Internet. This beautiful, unique and rare car has been garaged-kept all of its life and has extremely low miles.

The Chrysler TC by Maserati was a result of joint venture engineered by two giants of the automobile industry, Lee Iacocca of Chrysler and Alejandro de Tomaso of Maserati. These largely hand-built automobiles were conceived as a two-passenger luxury grand touring convertible. The luxury touches are immediately apparent. With only 7,300 examples during its three-year model run, good examples are becoming increasing difficult to find and ones in this kind of condition and low mileage are rarer yet.

The engine runs very well. Chrysler 3 liter V6 provides plenty of power to cruise in the style that it was originally intended to do. The automatic transmission shifts smoothly and easily. This car is easy to handle and is a pleasure to drive.

The exterior of this TC is in good condition and it is apparent that it has been well kept. The front bumper has been dented were it has tapped into an object at low speed, however there is no damage to any sheet metal in the front (or anywhere else on the car for that matter). The paint is good and shiny, with the slight oxidation that you would expect of a white car of this age. There is a spider-web ding in the rear bumper cover where the fiberglass needs attention.

Slip into the interior are you are immediately surrounded by beautiful Italian glove leather seemingly anywhere the eye lands, from the beautiful seats, to the dash trim, console cover and saddle bag storage in the rear deck area. There are slight age cracks in the leather, particularly on the console cover, but this simply adds to the provenance and reflects the wear patina expected of a car of this vintage. The Infinity sound system sounds very good to this day. All the interior components are functional, with the power seats, windows, door locks and cruise control all working properly.

The convertible top raises without issue and folds under a built-in fiberglass tonneau cover. The hardtop removes easily for storage, although this is a two-person job.

The tires are in good condition and have plenty of remaining tread. The special designed wheels sport the Maserati trident logo, as is found in various places throughout the vehicle.

Now is the opportunity to acquire a true rare vehicle in American and Italian vehicle history. With the limited production numbers of these wonderful cars, there will never be a better time to enjoy a unique automobile. If you have ever considered entry in to the collector car hobby, this is a great chance to do so without the increasing higher entry fees.

Please feel free to contact Mark Bledsoe at (865) 712-5190 with any additional questions.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see this car in person. The battery was dead. Attempting to start it they set it on fire. It was sent to a local auction that day without repair.

It appeared to be better than average condition other than oil leaks and oil residue within and around the exhaust pipe.

It was a cold day and smoke rising from the alternator followed by a flame of some size and significant smoke coming from behind the battery looked scary enough to have all the dealership people scattering and leaving me alone with the car.

As dramatic as it seemed I imagine it was a fusable link (is there one behind the battery?) that blazed. Or, possibly all that shiny sticky stuff they had sprayed all over the engine compartment (even over the engine oil coated passenger side) The damage was electric and caused by dealership personnel hooking the portable battery charger up to the wrong terminals.

When I called the next day it had already been sent as it was to the local auction. It is a shame as it was in better cosmetic condition than others I have seen locally. I hope someone brings it back.

Yanno, one would think that if you work at a dealership you would have some interest in the product your are dealing with (cars) and how it works and how to interact with it. I cannot tell you how many times I've gone to a dealership for various reasons and find that I know more about the product then the people who sell them and in some cases, work on them. I've been offered a few jobs as a result. wink.gif

No lie, one dealer I went to, one of the sales guys did not know even the most basic differences between a gas and diesel engine. So, I am not surprised that they connected a battery charger up wrong. Why is that level of incompetence tolerated at dealerships?

in general, sales people at car dealerships are not "professionals". just desperate. anyone i have ever known personally, that took a job selling cars, got there because they had lost jobs, or even a series of jobs, in other fields. they are mostly on straight commission, and have probationary periods longer than many can survive. so the dealership has little to risk in hiring them.

anyway, it is too bad about this car. the battery booster being hooked up backwards - yeah, that "red-to-red" and "black-to-black" is a tough concept.

Not suprised by the nonprofessionals at the car dealership. Having been a rookie car "salesman" for new and used cars about 20 yrs ago. There is no state exam or certification, just have to breath. My favorite warranty statement, "When you drive it off the lot and it breaks in half, you own both halves". I am much better at drilling oil wells, thats where I also learned to run fast and look back later.

I must say if that car had exploded I would have been the only one to go up with it (they were not nearly so quick in returning up with the extinguisher). Everyone was out of sight before I could even turn around. It is precisely the loss of those reaction times that has me considering the sale of my TVR.

I also note you have a triple black TC which is just what I hope to one day have. I am seeing more and more of them listed on ownership lists but have yet to come across one in person.

i've got my eye on 2 1966 sunbeams, that if i get my wish, i will be adding to my 'stable'. if that is so, the TC may have to go.

of course i am thinking of the sunbeams as 'dream' cars. others have offered that they sound more like nightmares, or another ring ot two closer to the center of the inferno.

some here at this forum (including me actually) would say i'm at ring 6 with the heretics with this sort of thinking

;-)

trading away italian art for old english steel...

Lee_M

I was once offered a nice Tiger as an even trade for a dune buggy I had cobbled together. Love the Sunbeams and came close a couple of times. Very good design with lots of room.

At least with English you know not to expect things like being able to drive after dark. My venture into Audis caught me completely unprepared.

Keep me in mind should that b/b/b TC need a new home.

Lee M got a backyard full of sunbeams from ,a beauty to a parts car and boxes of parts , did all that work and my knees gave out i cant even get in the d--- thing now do you have a clif to push them off of .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REDMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee M got a backyard full of sunbeams from ,a beauty to a parts car and boxes of parts , did all that work and my knees gave out i cant even get in the d--- thing now do you have a clif to push them off of .</div></div>

"backyard full of sunbeams"? i'm in western PA, not WVA

;-) - just kidding, wva people.

• 3 weeks later...

Like a phoenix this car has arisen from the flames and landed on another local, if lessor, lot. There is no indication there was any major damage under the hood. If the battery was changed out it was for another old one, the smoking alternator does not appear to have been changed but the black residue around the tail pipe was cleaned up. The underhood sticky, shiny stuff is still slicked on deep. About the only difference is the trip on the wrecker resulted in splitting the fiberglass in the front significantly in a few spots along with bending the stainless trim.

Again, I did not get to test drive it in that the saleskid wanted to know if I wanted to buy the car before even allowing the driving of it. That reddish liquid spotting the hood and grill area are probably why. It must cost a bunch to keep adding antifreeze after each trip around the block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lee_M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've got my eye on 2 1966 sunbeams, that if i get my wish, i will be adding to my 'stable'. if that is so, the TC may have to go.

)

trading away italian art for old english steel... </div></div>

I don't think the term 'stable' can apply to any of us who own TC's not to mention a Maxwell Smart sunbeam special...