Sign in to follow this  
quadfins

April show in Charlotte

Melissa, The AACA Meet is outside the Track. You can get to it without paying. If you are willing to walk a long way, I even saw a parking lot that was free according to the sign (A long way down Morehouse Road)...

Enjoy the show!

Benefits of AACA Membership.

It was a little rainy, some parts of the field were a little wet, but overall, it was a wonderful meet. I attended Judging School yesterday, along with the Apprentice Judging Team today. Our Team Captain/Leader, Rick Lay, taught me a few things I didn't know about judging antique cars. Do we ever know everything? smile.gif

Here's one of the beautiful cars on the field today, a Mercer that I'll let you guys dissect!

Mercer.jpg

Wayne

A beautiful green Griffin with a small block Ford engine. The owner admitted that it wasn't to be driven by the faint of heart! eek.gifsmile.gif

Griffin.jpg

Wayne

Nice 1955 Chevy Nomad in the DPC class(Drivers Participation Class)

55_nomad.jpg

Wayne

Sue Bond's very nice MG. Looks like Matt Hinson's Model A in the back ground.

Sues_MG.jpg

The antique automobiles had gotten permission to leave the field by the time I took this picture of these muscle cars, a SS Chevelle, and two Oldsmobiles.

3_hotties.jpg

Wayne

Well- y'all are making me wish I had got up and driven to Charlotte today to see these cars and meet some of you face to face. But... since it poured rain here till about 10 AM, I decided to use today to sort and catalog recent ebay parts acquisitions. So the day wasn't completely wasted old-car wise! You wouldn't believe the 64 Olds wire wheel cover I got for ten bucks! So what if it didn't have a spinner? I just happened to have one of those laying around too.

One of my friends says the two front rooms in the house look like a swap meet anyway.

That's a nice looking Nomad...

Now before someone thinks I'm disecting a car on the internet please be aware that this isn't a judgement question.

Were those strips that go over the headlights, down the front fenders and onto the doors common?? I've never seen any Nomads with those strips, let alone a '55 Chevy ever before. I think I've seen more '55 Nomads than '56 & '57's but that's something that I've never seen before.

Pat, I always thought it was part of the '55 Nomad trim package. The ones I see here have it, but that's only two cars and one of them is far from original.

I think the stuff is diecast and as such people may have left it off completely when they couldn't find good replacement pieces. Also if front sheetmetal had to be replaced with non-Nomad pieces, they may have been left off.

Wayne, did you note where the Nomad was from? It may be one of the two I know about, from Nathalie VA (northern Halifax County). At one time Nathalie post office had the distinction of one of the longest RFD routes in the country.

Hey guys, that chrome casting is original to all 1955 Nomads. I found the owner's name as Bobby Garrett, but I do not have an address. The winners list will be put up by Pat Buckley before the week is out, I'm sure.

Wayne

Matt Hinson has won so many awards that I have no idea which one this one is. shocked.gif

matt_hinson.jpg

Wayne

Woe to all vehicle owners on the field now that Burgess will be judging. Seriously, Wayne - you did great and will make a great addition to the judging ranks! As we say, you have now joined the "hobby within the hobby."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that chrome casting is original to all 1955 Nomads</div></div>Thanks for the info Wayne. I haven't seen that trim on any '55 Chevys. Of course the number of Nomads versus regular '55 Chevys that I've seen have been a much smaller number and I can't ever recall ever seeing that strip even on a Nomad.

PS. You don't have to be nice to my sister.

Wayne. It was great seeing you again. We have to do it again soon. A little more time to photograph the cars on the showfield in the sunshine would be nice next time.... grin.gif

Not that it really matters, but that is the 5th Preservation Award for my Phaeton.

Wayne-

I'm sorely disappointed I didn't get to see you there on Saturday, even though you took a picture of the MG that was parked behind our yellow & black '70 300! YOU WERE THAT CLOSE TO BEING HASSLED!! laugh.gif

I did get to meet Shop Rat & Novaman. That was great.

Next time, Wayne, all I can say is next time.

Dawn

Thanks guys, appreciate the support, I think!?? blush.gif

Chuck, are you saying that Bobby Garrett is from Nashville, TN?

Wayne

PS, Pat, your sister <span style="font-weight: bold">called me</span> yesterday, to make sure that I got home safely! cool.gif

For those members who paid for their banquet meals, but left Charlotte early, Thanks!!! confused.gifwhistle.gif

The dessert is pictured below, and as the kitchen was completely filled with these chocolate cakes.....Come and get it! Yum! Yum!!! cool.gifcool.gif

dessert.jpg

Seriously, I realize the weather wasn't the best in the world, but all of us enjoyed seeing our friends again. Oh, and meeting new ones! grin.gif

Wayne

I'm glad I replaced the trunk gasket on my Chevy II. With the rain we had over night I probably would have needed a bilge pump!! Definatly would have needed it parked nosed down on the show field. Heck, the little drizzle we had would have leak in parked that way w/ the old gasket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your sister called me yesterday, to make sure that I got home safely</div></div>What did she call you?? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

We shipped her south a long time ago because we were afraid that she was going to turn out like my mother in-law....

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for responding to my question about the entrance fee to see the Concord show. Unfortunately, with the weather as bad as it was and the fact that the flue/cold is making its way through my family (first my dad, then my husband, now my mother) I elected to stay put. It rained here in Shelby, NC almost all day and half the evening...but we sure needed the rain, so I won't complain too much.

Melissa, we're sorry you missed the show. It was not too bad Saturday, a little misty at times, but otherwise not uncomfortable. There were some very nice high dollar cars to look at despite the weather.

Maybe next time for you??

Wayne

Thanks Rick, I enjoyed your presentation. Picking on you was fun too. wink.gif

See you in Maryland continuing my "education"!

Wayne

Aha, a surprise candid picture of old Dynaflash8 with his usual, but not on purpose scowl. Thanks Wayne.

I hope you can all see that WASHINGTON NATIONALS BASEBALL HAT. YEA NATS!!

But Old Dynaflash8 (me) got even with Wayne later in the day by selling him this beautiful low mileage '81 Olds 98 Regency -- which Wayne now has to come to Florida to retrieve! I guess I just couldn't stand being seen in anything but a BUICK!

aHHH, Wayne, she drove back home as beautiful as she drove up to Charlotte.