April show in Charlotte

Guest quadfins

Guest quadfins

I am planning for Charlotte. Where will the show field be located? I see on the HNR website the maps indicating vendor and car corral locations, but I would like to get an idea about routes from the host hotel to the show field. I understand it might be quite a busy traffic pattern.

Also, and idea how many cars are registered for the show?

Jim Eccleston

Virginia

Guest quadfins

Thanks for the info - this is most helpful. It looks like it is about a mile from the host hotel, Down the main road, a right, then left turn, then turn into the lot. I suppose traffic won't be too bad early Saturday AM.

Jim Eccleston

1961 Coupe de Ville

BATILAC

Guest LPugh

I had hoped that the AACA show would be inside the speedway along pit road. I attended a Hornet's Nest Region meet there last year and we parked on pit road. Not sure what condition the Red Field is going to be in. Best I remember it was gravel and dirt.

Guest LPugh

I stand corrected. Just received my registration packet for the Hornet's Nest Region Meet and the show field will not be in the Red Field as I had been told. The show field is in first parking lot on the left as you enter the rear area of the speedway.

I couldn't remember where the red field was other than I knew there was flea market behind the back strech but not sure of the field name. Turn two area back there is fairly unfimilar area. Been there once when I took my car trailer to the AutoFair in hopes of a big find and they parked me there, and that's been better then ten years ago.

I registered my car for the meet. I received my tickets and a map this week. It will be off turn 2. The map shows it between the red field and Morehead Road. The information states the the interior roads are paved but the field is grass. It recommends taking US 49 to Morehead Road. I believe that it is outside the track to allow for a bigger show. They filled the frontstretch grass with additional car clubs. My only concern is that people may not know it is out there. With all the activity on Saturday I would start out early.

Guest quadfins

Thanks for all the replies and information. I am now wondering about the potential for traffic gridlock. To get from the host hotel to the showfield Saturday morning, is the direct route OK, or will it be better to avoid the potential traffic jam, and go from the hotel, back onto the interstate, and loop around to the Morehead road entrance?

Jim Eccleston

1961 Coupe de Ville

My dilemma....I have reservations at the host hotel. Of course I didn't write down the name of the hotel, even though I have a confirmation number. I tried the Hornets Nest web site, no help.

I also need to know where the judging school is being held and at what time? Don't need much huh? smile.gif

Wayne

My dilemma....I have reservations at the host hotel. Of course I didn't write down the name of the hotel, even though I have a confirmation number. I tried the Hornets Nest web site, no help.

I also need to know where the judging school is being held and at what time? Don't need much huh? smile.gif

Wayne

Hi, Wayne.

Host Hotel:

--Embassy Suites, 5400 John Q. Hammons Dr., N.W., Concord, NC 28027 (Direct phone: 704-455-8200)

--Judging School: Friday, 2-4 p.m. at the Embassy Suites

See all of you there,

Peter J... grin.gif

Hi, Wayne.

Host Hotel:

--Embassy Suites, 5400 John Q. Hammons Dr., N.W., Concord, NC 28027 (Direct phone: 704-455-8200)

--Judging School: Friday, 2-4 p.m. at the Embassy Suites

See all of you there,

Peter J... grin.gif

Dawn, hopefully, Mike and I will arrive around lunchtime tomorrow.

Someone said I needed to go to <span style="font-weight: bold">judges school</span>, so I can tell the difference between the front and the back of these antique cars of ours. crazy.gifgrin.gif

That starts at 2pm, according to Pedro. That's where I'll be, if the creek don't rise. wink.gif

We'll see everyone there.

Wayne

Dawn, hopefully, Mike and I will arrive around lunchtime tomorrow.

Someone said I needed to go to <span style="font-weight: bold">judges school</span>, so I can tell the difference between the front and the back of these antique cars of ours. crazy.gifgrin.gif

That starts at 2pm, according to Pedro. That's where I'll be, if the creek don't rise. wink.gif

We'll see everyone there.

Wayne

I am new to this forum, and this may not be the appropriate place to ask this question, but I'll try it anyway. I was under the impression that AACA-sanctioned events were free to the public. According to the Charlotte Observer, the show at Lowe's Motor Speedway has a parking fee of $5 per car and an entry fee of $10 per person. Am I wrong about no charge to the public? Are only AACA members supposed to be free? I am completely confused...

Melissa, You're true in the fact that admission to any AACA event is free to the public, although there could and generally will be a parking fee. The show down here in Charlotte tomorrow in actually outside the raceway, so that may be free. The Flea market area is inside the track, so that may be run differently. Either way, $10.00 is cheap for what you'll experience down here.

Wayne

Hi Guys!

I went to the judges school today and I have new information on the new fire extinguisher requirement of UL type 1-A: 5-B:C.

They are giving everyone on the show field tomorrow a grace period of this <span style="font-weight: bold">one meet</span>, to use the old extinguishers. That means no deductions for tomorrow <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span>.

The next AACA Meet will adhere to the new requirements.

No rain so far! smile.gif

Wayne

Melissa, The AACA Meet is outside the Track. You can get to it without paying. If you are willing to walk a long way, I even saw a parking lot that was free according to the sign (A long way down Morehouse Road)...

Enjoy the show!

It was a little rainy, some parts of the field were a little wet, but overall, it was a wonderful meet. I attended Judging School yesterday, along with the Apprentice Judging Team today. Our Team Captain/Leader, Rick Lay, taught me a few things I didn't know about judging antique cars. Do we ever know everything? smile.gif

Here's one of the beautiful cars on the field today, a Mercer that I'll let you guys dissect!

Mercer.jpg

Wayne

Well- y'all are making me wish I had got up and driven to Charlotte today to see these cars and meet some of you face to face. But... since it poured rain here till about 10 AM, I decided to use today to sort and catalog recent ebay parts acquisitions. So the day wasn't completely wasted old-car wise! You wouldn't believe the 64 Olds wire wheel cover I got for ten bucks! So what if it didn't have a spinner? I just happened to have one of those laying around too.

One of my friends says the two front rooms in the house look like a swap meet anyway.

That's a nice looking Nomad...

Now before someone thinks I'm disecting a car on the internet please be aware that this isn't a judgement question.

Were those strips that go over the headlights, down the front fenders and onto the doors common?? I've never seen any Nomads with those strips, let alone a '55 Chevy ever before. I think I've seen more '55 Nomads than '56 & '57's but that's something that I've never seen before.

Pat, I always thought it was part of the '55 Nomad trim package. The ones I see here have it, but that's only two cars and one of them is far from original.

I think the stuff is diecast and as such people may have left it off completely when they couldn't find good replacement pieces. Also if front sheetmetal had to be replaced with non-Nomad pieces, they may have been left off.

Wayne, did you note where the Nomad was from? It may be one of the two I know about, from Nathalie VA (northern Halifax County). At one time Nathalie post office had the distinction of one of the longest RFD routes in the country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that chrome casting is original to all 1955 Nomads</div></div>Thanks for the info Wayne. I haven't seen that trim on any '55 Chevys. Of course the number of Nomads versus regular '55 Chevys that I've seen have been a much smaller number and I can't ever recall ever seeing that strip even on a Nomad.

PS. You don't have to be nice to my sister.