Query about brake linings???

I have about 100 or more old relined brake shoes in various sizes, quite a few 12"ers, these have the old style lining, but they are brand new, never used, I wonder if the linings could be removed and rebonded on to our Lincoln shoes?? I have never heard of this being done, or could imagine any reason to do it before our wonderous new age here in the 21st, but any input would be welcomed-

Rolf, I don't know why they couldn't be removed and bonded and I am assuming they are the riveted style. If they are already bonded I doubt highly they can be removed. Most areas have places that bond linings for trucks and they can bond new linings to your shoes. I would suggest that a good heat soak in a hot oven might loosen the bonding, however as brakes operate in a lot of heat, I have serious doubts.

I have new linings for my 41 and rivets are going to hold those dudes.

Tom

Tom

Rolf - I checked with a German buddy of mine that manufactures the new brake shoes for the Messerschmitt club and he said that any major firm that does the bonding could un-bond them, he said the firm he deals with uses a chemical that penetrates the glue used and allows the removal of the shoe. Once it (shoe) has been cleaned and neutralized of the chemical it can be re-glued. He did ask if it would be cost effective to do this, as the cost of new bonding is probably much less – at least here anyway. Harry

Interesting, anybody like to give it a shot?? I have both riveted and bonded shoes, some look just like L shoes, but are much wider, maybe '49 and up?? I will send some samples if you would like to fool around with it-