Query about brake linings???

Rolf

I have about 100 or more old relined brake shoes in various sizes, quite a few 12"ers, these have the old style lining, but they are brand new, never used, I wonder if the linings could be removed and rebonded on to our Lincoln shoes?? I have never heard of this being done, or could imagine any reason to do it before our wonderous new age here in the 21st, but any input would be welcomed-

Rolf, I don't know why they couldn't be removed and bonded and I am assuming they are the riveted style. If they are already bonded I doubt highly they can be removed. Most areas have places that bond linings for trucks and they can bond new linings to your shoes. I would suggest that a good heat soak in a hot oven might loosen the bonding, however as brakes operate in a lot of heat, I have serious doubts.

I have new linings for my 41 and rivets are going to hold those dudes.

Tom

Tom

Guest DavidHitchinson

Rolf if they are bonded they are probably not asbestos linings. If they are riveted they most likely are asbestos. And as we all know the more toxic the better! Actually asbestos linings are the best the newer stuff is all junk. Thanks Dave

Guest Harry Connors

Rolf - I checked with a German buddy of mine that manufactures the new brake shoes for the Messerschmitt club and he said that any major firm that does the bonding could un-bond them, he said the firm he deals with uses a chemical that penetrates the glue used and allows the removal of the shoe. Once it (shoe) has been cleaned and neutralized of the chemical it can be re-glued. He did ask if it would be cost effective to do this, as the cost of new bonding is probably much less – at least here anyway. Harry

Interesting, anybody like to give it a shot?? I have both riveted and bonded shoes, some look just like L shoes, but are much wider, maybe '49 and up?? I will send some samples if you would like to fool around with it-

Guest Harry Connors

Rolf because of the postage cost plus the dollar = Euro conversion rate here right now it really would not be cost effective for me to try to have them debonded. Harry