GOF UK possible United Kingdom Gathering

A couple of us over here in the United Kingdom are looking at the possibility of having a gathering of Lincoln V12 Zephyrs & Continentals, within the UK, with the invitation open to all our European members and any others who may be interested.

The suggested meet would be at the "Rally of the Giants" a popular rally for american cars of pre 59 vintage, run by the Pre50AAC, held at Knebworth House 26/27th July.

Hopefully, we could have quite a collection of Lincoln V12's (anywhere from 6 upwards would be an achievement) on the rally field on Sunday with a possible road tour on the Saturday.

There is a hotel conveniently placed at the entrance to Knebworth Park and there is usually some entertainment on the Saturday evening.

Anybody interested in joining us?

Hi Pete,

I hope my Jensen may count as half a Zephyr (Zephyr engine and gearbox!), and that date seems to be free at the moment. It is a great show, so please pencil us in for the Sunday and I'll work over the next few weeks in persuading Denise that we should go. Last time she was in the car she swore never to get in it again, but I'm talking her around, and so is Adrian Spong!

Are you in touch with the owner of the V12 Brough? I believe it lives in Wales, but it would be great to see that there too. I don't currently know of any roadworthy V12 Atalantas in the UK.

Mike

Hi Mike, of course your more than welcome, I'd love to see your car in the flesh. Your correct the ROG is a superb show, hopefully we can make it even more so with a great line up of V12's, whatever they're sat in.

I've no contact for the guy in Wales with the V12 Brough, whilst on the subject of contacts, Julian Balme has asked me for your email address if you could send it to me I shall pass it on. petebirtles@btopenworld.com

Phil, we'll certainly post some photos for you if this all comes off, but better still why don't you hop on a plane & join us, put the car on the boat & bring that too!

I'd really like to bring my 36 across the pond for a once in a lifetime vacation. I have relatives in Co. Wexford Ireland, and some patcholder friends in a bike club. (1%) I'd love to spend a couple of months touring the isles and the continent, but that will be at least 10 years off.

post-31357-143137974807_thumb.jpg

Mike, we'll just have to do it all again in 10 years time when you come across.

Hopefully this time we can have a bigger turn out of Zephyrs than we had on this occasion, although 2 Lincoln Zephyr coupes on the same field is quite a rare site here in the UK, don't they look beautiful together!

2003_0720_130659AA.sized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

Looks like not many UK owners read these pages. Have you thought about contacting them directly? Details in the LZOC handbook.

I understand the date clashes with the two-day hot rod show at Old Warden. Hot Rods are not my thing, but a second show less than 20 miles away may reduce the numbers at Knebworth.

Mike

Hi Mike,

All members in the UK have been contacted directly, either by myself or Julian. There is interest, 2 other members plus myself from the north are hoping to get there.

Colin, like myself usually attends the ROG each year although not always in our Lincolns so will certainly be there.

There's always been a good turn out at the ROG what ever event it clashes with, I remember 1 year it clashing with the Notts Americana but it didn't affect it, it is however later this year which can always have an affect.

I'm hoping to contact a few members from Europe, it's not unusual to have a few visitors from Belgium, Germany, France etc at the ROG.

Pete....

• 3 months later...

Last call, the Rally of the Giants is next Sunday, the 27th July.I don't think we're going to get a big turn out of lincoln V12's but anything over 3 will be a result.

Mike, are you still coming? Ted & Peter, I've emailed you directly, Colin I'm sure will be there & Julian's taking the continental.......any other takers?

But Mike, it never rains here in the UK!

Hopefully the sun will be out, it'll be good to see your car there & I'm sure it'll create a lot of interest.

Peter Smith is hopefully travelling down with myself in his 37, this will make 5 Lincoln V12's.

Looking for more...

Pete,

Thank you for all your efforts getting the UK Zephyr community together. It was a great day, I learned a lot too, even though I don't have a "real" Zephyr.

The contrast between UK and USA styling of the period was interesting!

Hope you had a good trip back home - it was a long way in temperatures that must have been pushing 30 degrees.

Mike

Mike,

Glad you enjoyed yourself on the day, your car certainly received a lot of interest & was a great addition to our gathering, which turned out to be the largest gathering of Lincoln Zephyr V12's ever within the UK, all pre-war!

I left shortly after yourself around 5'o'clock & was home for 7.40pm not bad for a journey of 150 miles. Fortunately trouble free, I think not stopping for petrol or food helped to keep that V12 smooth all the way home, unlike the journey down.

I'm going to start a new thread with some pictures of the cars thet were there, after all this thread is titled "GOF UK possible gathering....." when actually we made it happen. Six Lincoln Zephyrs plus your outstanding LZ powered Jenson, I think with a little work we could possibly get into double figures next time.

Congratulations must go to Colin's great achievement in bringing 3 LZs along, and also to Peter Smith who set out on an epic 500 mile round trip to get there but unfortunately didn't make it, a very brave effort.