VIN on chassis?

ellegt

My dad bought a 1949 oldsmobile, he finally has it restored and went to get it registered at the dmv. They sent him to the highway patrol office because they could only find two numbers on the car. They said they need the VIN on located on the chassis. We cannot seem to find it, do any of you know the exact location of it?

Some of my dad's friends have said that certain cars do not have that number, but the highway patrol officer said he would not register the car unless the third number was found.

help!!!! confused.gif

You might want to print these out for the zealous Highway Patrol officer. Your dad's friends were right,

in that not all cars had Serial Numbers on their frames in all given years. The charts below should help.

They're from the <span style="font-style: italic">National Used Car Market Report Red Book</span>, January 1, 1956.

46_to_55_Motor_No_RB.jpg

46_to_55_Serial_No_RB.jpg

For larger images, go to the Photo Gallery and double click on these pictures; it'll give you a huge, legible file.

I've found if you go to DMV et al., with more info than needed they usually accept it.

Good luck,

TG

WE looked for the numbers based on the pictures and we could only find one number, and its on the dash under the hood. it just says x270. we found another one inside the car under the dash that says c25. I am so confused.

I probably should have sent this before, the Serial & Motor numbers produced for the entire run of '49 Oldsmobiles,

all series, and from all assembly plants.

Depending on your model, your "VIN" should fall within the ranges stated.

49_Olds_Numbers.jpg

For a better image, double click on this link to the Photo Gallery.

http://photos.aaca.org/data/510/medium/49_Olds_Numbers.jpg

Also, here's what the <span style="font-style: italic">Red Book</span> says about Olds number locations back in the day.

49_Olds_Number_Location.jpg

If they can't accept this there's something terribly wrong with their system!

Good luck,

TG

Thank you we are trying to get this fixed soon because the temporary permit given to my dad ends at the end of this month.

And <span style="font-weight: bold">Oldsfan</span>, yes that number we were able to find, but the highway patrol officer said he needed another one. My dad thought he only needed the one you said, but the other guy said no and he wasn't going to register the car with that number.

I don't know what state you're in, but the HP officer obviously lives in the State of <span style="font-style: italic">Denial</span>! When authority types (DMV, HP, etc.) are confronted with info they're not comfortable with, at times the only way to get their attention is to go up the chain of command.

In SC where I live, when I went to title the '55 Chevy Bookmobile (which as a government vehicle had never been titled), I had my <span style="font-style: italic">Red Book</span> in hand. The pleasant clerk shrugged her shoulders (it didn't have a "standard," modern VIN) and went to her supervisor.

The supervisor gave her the exact same data as I had, but from a different source than the <span style="font-style: italic">Red Book</span>. The clerk happily processed it and issued the title. Going up to the next level may be the only route your dad has left.

I mean, c'mon, if Olds didn't have numbers anywhere else but where they said they did (door pillar), and the info can be proven (<span style="font-style: italic">Red Book</span> or other), then the HP dude is on some twisted power trip (which we know <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> happens) and is just giving your dad a hard time. And probably enjoying it.

Time to go over <span style="font-style: italic">his</span> head.

TG

And please refrain from platitudes like the officer is; "just doing his job; always the one who gets blamed; going by the book," and so on. I have stated before my good experiences with DMV with the Bookmobile and others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ellegt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but the highway patrol officer said he needed another one. My dad thought he only needed the one you said, but the other guy said no and he wasn't going to register the car with that number. </div></div>

Well, that is the serial number for the car. I don't know what else they would want.

Paul

• 2 years later...
Guest peranapete
I probably should have sent this before, the Serial & Motor numbers produced for the entire run of '49 Oldsmobiles,

all series, and from all assembly plants.

Depending on your model, your "VIN" should fall within the ranges stated.

49_Olds_Numbers.jpg

For a better image, double click on this link to the Photo Gallery.

http://photos.aaca.org/data/510/medium/49_Olds_Numbers.jpg

Also, here's what the Red Book says about Olds number locations back in the day.

49_Olds_Number_Location.jpg

If they can't accept this there's something terribly wrong with their system!

Good luck,

TG

Hello, just reading through your posts, I have a 37 Oldsmobile and Im tryin to finf the vin number on the vehicle, could you send me the link again of what the red book says about vin location etc Thank you Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

OK, here's the straight skinny. The body/chassis serial number for 1949 model has a 3 diget prefix that indicates the model. 496 for model 76 (6 cylinder), 498 model 88 and 499 for model 98 followed by a 4 or 5 diget serial number. This should be on the left front body hinge pillar (door jamb). There is also the engine number which was often used for title and license registration. This number is found on the front of the engine block above the water pump and on a plate attached to the floor board inside of the right front door.

Guest Bob Call

Peter

My book only goes back to 1940 but I'm guseeing that the chassis serial number on your 37 is in the same place. On a plate attached to the top left front of the frame. It should also have an engine number on the front of the block above the water pump.

Also, these old cars DON'T have VIN's. They have chassis production serial numbers and/or engine numbers that were used for registration and license tags.

• 6 years later...

Hello All, 

I recently acquired two 1949 Oldsmobile´s. 

The cars are on their way to Europe / Austria now, to become part of my private collection of mainly US cars from the 30´s to the 60´s.

Both cars are coming with titles showing the engine numbers only. 

This should not be a problem for registering the cars in Austria. 

However, I would be happy to get a little bit more of details regarding VIN, numbers matching engines, etc. 

Could you please re-attach the "49_Olds_Number.jpg".

The attachments have been archived or deleted, as the post is from 2008.

Thank you very much & greetings from Austria, 

Otto