Robert Frankcom

Upgrading a 230 engine and transmission

On 2/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, maok said:

Of course they do, jump out of gum trees.

I thought your Prime Minister of the day Bob Hawke said they just piddled out of trees. On people looking up at them.

• Like 1

If you want to change transmissions might as well adapt a modern 5 speed such as the one out of a Chevrolet S10 or S15 pickup truck 1983 - 87. The model used in pickup trucks and vans is preferred because the gearshift lever is better positioned for old cars compared to the same trans used in Mustang and Camaro.

I did give Don Coatney's adaptation of this trans to the Plymouth and Dodge engine. For our English and European readers I am sure you are spoiled for choice given the number of European cars with manual 5 speed transmissions.

It is a good idea to install a modern rear axle at the same time because the new trans has no handbrake on it.

Ive been racing a 38 Plymouth for the past 14 years at historic meetings in Australia and do reasonably well.Just cant get in front of most of the Ford V8's.I have been running a 217 cu in Plymouth with triple Stromberb BXOV1.Not bad .does 14.9 sec 1/4 mile and 200 Kpa at Phillip island (120 MPH)

I am building another car using 38 230 cu in Plymouth running gear again.I would like to know if someone has any evidence of triple SU's being used on a Dodge or Plymouth side valve pre war. To log book the new build I have to present CAMS the governing body with hard evidence that it was done in period.

Any help greatly appreciated

IMO, the SU's would work really well with the 230, but it's unlikely that it could be considered  a period correct MOD for your '38 Plymouth. It may have been tried in England in the past.

• Thanks 1

I agree on the UK possibility 

many of the Chrysler side valves sold in Australia were made in Kew in London to benifit from the lower import duty 

Im hoping some one in the UK can help