Window weatherstrip questions

My 1936 Special had virtually no weather striping in it when I got it and now that I’m rebuilding all the windows I’m not sure how it all goes together. Using the oldbuickparts.com catalog I ordered up a bunch of parts and began to install them. The window channel is obvious and I figured out most of the vent and divider parts but I can’t seem to make sense of the sweeper (WS-330) and clips to put them on (SC-330).

The clip looks like the pointed ends should be pounded into the wood like a nail but the hoop on the other side is not shaped like the sweeper at all. Do I bend the hoop to make it fit the sweeper? Another thought would be to think of the hoop as something that would normally get inserted into a hole like more modern trim parts and that the pointed parts might actually get inserted into the sweeper but that doesn’t seem right. Any other ideas?

Re the vent/divider: lots of fidgeting with this to make things mostly line up. It seems I have to trim off some of the stainless trim of the channel where it meats up with the door in order to get the divider close enough to the outside of the door so that the vent window will close on it properly. However, when I do this, I still see no way to address the middle area of the divider. It may have had more metal on it at one point or perhaps there is another part that I am missing but there really seems like there should be some additional seal here even though I can’t find one in my parts catalogs or in the buick shop manual I have.

Another question is the rest of the door area at the bottom of the class. Unlike modern cars, there doesn’t appear to be any kind of rubber seal for this area. Is this space covered by the sweeper only?

Thanks,

Jeff

On the sweeps-generally the pointed ends of the clip are driven through the body of the sweep and bent over. The other end, if you have the correct clips, will go into holes in the metal door inside edge and inside trim molding inside edge.

Marty Lum

That makes sense but except that the car does not have any holes for the clips to slide into. My car is a mclaughlin; I wonder if they did things differntly in Canada?

Since my car came without the lights on the fender I suppose it is possible that it is an early production vehicle and that may be part of the reason there are no holes.

Jeff