why is the '91 100lbs lighter?

Jim NotreDame IN

i was looking at the data page at reatta.net and noticed about a hundred pound difference between the '90 and '91. did they remove something, or was there a chassis change or something? i know they had bigger exhausts and optional larger wheels, so the weight had to come from somewhere else because both of those things would make it heavier. any ideas?

The Teves unit is only about a 15 pound deduction. All years use an EBCM so that is the same. The Teves unit on the firewall weighs 23 pounds but the '91s have the Bosch unit mounted on the left front frame rail and I am guessing this unit weighs about 10 pounds.

The larger wheel probably made it lighter, (less rubber) the exhuast would not make but a 5lb increase. The teves being changed out would have save a decent amount of weght but they then added the ABS assembly so that is probably close to breaking even.

Do bolth cars have the same options? 16 way seats, sunroofs?

anything of the like?

Guest Reatta1

Ragtops were both 90 and 91 so if that is the difference, it should show up in the 90's also. This is one for Barney. I'd bet he could answer it.

i'm not too concerned about what it is, i just thought it would be interesting if there were some swap that you could do to a '90 to drop the weight. i bet gm weighed it without the jack pack and spare or something stupid like that. maybe the factory weight was dry '91. 15 gallons of gas and 5 qts of oil and tranny fluid would account for well over 100 lbs.