Courtesy Light in Door Handle

CReichert

How do I change the courtesy light that is in the interior door handle area? Also, when I pull up on the exterior door handle on the same side (before entering the car)it no longer turns on the dome light and the dash? How do I change whatever that is? <P>Thanks,<BR>CTR<BR>(1990 coupe, named "Ruben")

....the door handle lite is actually a fiber- optic cable from an external light source. i'm not sure but i would venture to believe that you have a bad switch somewhere in the lock mechanism. A bad switch could also mean that your alarm system is also inactive on that door. Perhaps someone could help better if they knew the year...? There were differences between '89 and '90.

I have a 90 also and it has a very small push in bulb that lights the interior door handle area. The socket for tis is clipped to the top of the door panel opening around the the interior door handle. If I recall, the plastic insert around the handle is removed with one or two phillips screws making access easier to this light. I don't recall the bulb number but is a real minature push in bulb. The exterior key hole is lit by a fiber optic tube that goes from the courtesy light at the bottom of the door panel. cool.gif" border="0

When you use the passenger door handle do the lights come on?If no then thats another problem, If yes, you can go into bcm diagnistics input bi06 will show you if the switch is good, it should show hi, then when you lift up on the handle it should go to lo and then back to high. There is a switch on the handle, its a real treat to change, The last time I checked gmparts.com it was $16+shipping. I was able to get mine to work again.

Thanks for the input thus far. When I pull on the outside handle of the driver side, NO lights come on inside the car. No is the keyhole illuminated. <P>The passenger side handle seems to work correctly in that if I pull on the handle, the interior light(s) will come on for a short while. <P>Any other thoughts on this?