Great Way to Display 1/43 Scale Models

This was a solution to display my meager collection of 1/43rd scale models. Remember the Timex Watch Displays that used to populate every drug store? After they outlived their usefulness, they were often stored in the store's backroom or attic. They have fluorescent lighting (still readily available), spin slowly, and keep your cars fairly dust-free; way better than a fish tank. And no <span style="font-style: italic">feeding!</span>

Timex_Case.jpg

They're getting harder and harder to find these days, since antique mall vendors have caught on to them, but are still out there. Ranging in size from countertop to six-foot, free-standing models, the best way to find them is by inquiring at small town pharmacies. They paid for the cases when they bought the watches,

and will often sell them at affordable prices.

I can fit 45 models in this one, a cast-off found on the street and dragged home in NYC when a store was being remodelled. The date on the motor is 1969, but they were made in varying styles well into the '80's.

Happy hunting,

TG

Guest imported_MrEarl

great idea, I'll keep my eyes open for these. I'm still looking for a piano bench for to turn into a glass topped display coffee table per your other good idea. got a picture of that to show off? smile.gif

Hey Lamar,

Here's an older shot of my coffee table, the "topless" piano bench.

Coffee_Table.jpg

Plus a couple of other dust-free solutions for displaying little treasures...

The case on the left was used for knives or ink pens or something, bought at auction for about $90.

All it required was a repaint of the black base.

Twin_Displays.jpg

The English china curio only needed an extra shelf, a mirror in the back, and a light fixture inside.

You still see these all over at antique shops, for around $350-$450.

TG

In regard to the piano bench, I bought an old wooden paper delivery wagon at Hershey a few years ago. I took off the handle and use it as a "coffee" table. I thought about putting a glass top over it, but I move the wagon too often. It's in front of a couch that pulls out to a bed (I'm in the dog house way too often grin.gif)

TG57--here's how my 1:43 collection is displayed, I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and get these cases at the right price. I have a Packard neon sign I have to repackage for the upper-center, It's currently too big. When that is finsished the "Lightning McQueen" car comes down and goes back to my son's room, if he still wants it. This was the finishing touch of my basement rec-room remuddle.

post-42387-143137975425_thumb.jpg

post-42387-143137975428_thumb.jpg

post-42387-14313797543_thumb.jpg

post-42387-143137975432_thumb.jpg

post-42387-143137975434_thumb.jpg

John,

Great find on the store displays! I'm always on the lookout for them, but haven't had much luck. Last January, I had the good fortune to meet James Powers, ex-Lincoln-Mercury designer. The highlight was a tour of his studio/office/home/garage complex, a few pix of which are in the Feb., 2002, <span style="font-style: italic">Collectible Automobile</span>. I think he must have cornered the market for retail displays for his career-long collection.

I've never seen anything so stupendous!

------------------------------------------------------------

Norb,

If you have a <span style="font-style: italic">Habitat For Humanity</span> resale shop in your area, they are a good source for odd display items that may work for your needs. It sounds cliche, but try to "think outside the box." It worked for my Matchboxes, etc., in the case of this wooden cover for a fluorescent light fixture, an item I've been enjoying since 1978.

Dining_Room_Color_X.jpg

My, how time flies!

Happy hunting,

TG

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leonard,

Tomorrow, 3/29, they're auctionaing off scads of Stude items from the collection of John Felleter.

http://www.automobiliaauctions.com/

I was at his place about 15 years ago, and it was truly amazing.

They'll take faxed bids, and there might be something you can't live without.

Great room, BTW!

TG </div></div>

Thanks for the "Heads Up", but it is too far away and too short a notice. I will post it on the SDC Forum though.

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

If anyone local to me is interested...I have two of the Timex cases, similar to the one shown at the top of this thread.

One is the 6' high, and the other is a tabletop model. I have them stored in my parent's attic...they worked when placed up there. I used them for Matchbox Models of Yesteryear.

As I said..these are similar to the one shown at the beginning of this thread...but they are flat topped.

I'd love to see these find new homes...I moved 7 months ago and have been trying to clear all that stuff out of my folk's house. They'll likely be junked if someone doesn't need them.

I am in the Langhorne/Newtown PA area.

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

If anyone local to me is interested...I have two of the Timex cases, similar to the one shown at the top of this thread.

One is the 6' high, and the other is a tabletop model. I have them stored in my parent's attic...they worked when placed up there. I used them for Matchbox Models of Yesteryear.

As I said..these are similar to the one shown at the beginning of this thread...but they are flat topped.

I'd love to see these find new homes...I moved 7 months ago and have been trying to clear all that stuff out of my folk's house. They'll likely be junked if someone doesn't need them.

I am in the Langhorne/Newtown PA area.

Great ideas for display! One of my rules of collecting emphasizes the need to have showcases to show off your stuff. Otherwise, we're just hoarding! For my own collectibles I've tried to find old antique country store cases. Here are a couple - the first one is a display of some early fold-0ut valentines and misc, the second one is in my recreated old auto parts store and is full of motometers and misc rad caps.

Enjoy.

Terry

post-30751-143137977002_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143137977007_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest oldslady liz

great collections everyone... just incredible.. love the different show cases and displays as well... i have been collectimg carousel horses and enamal ware ..maybe i will make a switch for awhile..

Liz,

Always happy to welcome a new convert to the fold. Over on the die-cast.org Forum 43, a frequent contributor

and mega-collector showed us his displays. http://www.mpdiecast.net/models/display.html

There's an amazing international aspect of collecting scale model cars; many of those shown are variations

of Russian "toys," a large number of which were available during the Soviet era.

TG